Mahi Mahi

Squeakyboatcaptain

Here is a Mahi Mahi, Dorado, Dolphin....whatever you want to call it. I caught him on a hand-made diamond jig... with a little purple and blue hackle tied on the treble hook. I lost the Jig on another (bigger) one.... or I would of included it as well.

1327600947.jpg

He was filleted up quickly, and was prime table fare!!

blt

Love to try that. Only had it a Red Lobster and wasn't really to wild about it, so I knew they screwed it up some how lol.

JSC

Dolphin ... here .. (Some Political Correct use that Maia-Maia) :)

My Son was a Capt. On a Supply boat at one time ... he borrowed one of my old SACO Pots beat me out of some hooks and Buck Tails ... He caught a liittle bit of everything on what he made ... He used his spinnin outfits , whcih at that time none of the guys on the rigs used and he had so much action the "Rig Guys" started using them (This was in the Late 70s early 80s) course the "Money Crop" out there was bottom fishin for Snapper & Grouper (course some "Triggers" as well)...

Squeakyboatcaptain

Yes... I have caught a little of everything out here, but the times have changed.... Can only fish now if the clients on board allow it! So the fishing time is limited..... But... I keep my rod on board for those few times I can!! Doing Deepwater work... It's usually Mahi and Tuna these days. Sure miss the old days..

Hawnjigs

KISS
How do you hook & land fish off such a big boat? Are you trolling or casting? Isn't it a long way up to haul in a catch?

Out here in HI trigger fish while despised by most sport fisherman are considered under the radar decent eating - firm & mild. Do mainlanders eat them?

Mahi of course is one of the best eating pelagics. Not real fresh in PA I would guess.

Squeakyboatcaptain

We use a long handled gaff to hook them, once the fight is out of them, and we mainly cast.. Big jigs, or topwater plugs... And the occasional hot dog or Vienna sausage!!
I have kept many a triggerfish as well!! The do have alot of bones, but they are superb table fare!!
Yellowfin tuna are my favorite... Excellent on the grill!! Haven't caught one in several years though...:(

Jig Man

We call them dolphin as well... They sure are pretty when they are rocketing thru they water... Nice fish SBC!

Squeakyboatcaptain

The main deck is about 8' off the water...so kind of like fishing from a pier or dock.... We play them out, and gaff em, pull em up... It gets interesting when it's a 100 lb tuna!! Lol

bombora

Nice fish Squeaky. Mahi mahi or dolphin fish (dollies) here. It's prime time just now. Can get them as close as a mile out (some years closer and the odd one gets taken from he rocks). Man I'd love to get out to one of the FADs but the weather's been crap all summer. Odd OK day and I'm always in the city working. Your "office" has good fishing!

Back