Low water lunch

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Been getting a few days where i could manage to squeeze out for an hour at lunch. Been taking an early break and out in the river around 11:00....... before the heat sets in too bad. Fishing has been tough. Getting skunked a lot and dinked out twice in the past week. Got 4 to 5 fish each day, but would have been lucky if the combined length of them would have equaled 24".

Got out today and found some dinks in the typical deeper/faster water holes. Caught 2 out of this hole, then lost the jig.

View attachment 4

Switched jigs to one i usually would use targeting largies in still water reservoirs. Tried to take a few fancy pics in the water. :p Kind of neat way to show how it looks. Traditional craw colors.

View attachment 5

View attachment 6

Took the long walk down to the next large flat with maybe a max depth of 2' at the moment. Big wide open flat with some larger boulders right smack in the middle that i could barely make out with the polarized glasses. Then fastest part of water dumping out of the rapid above, spilled right out over them. Started targeting each boulder, one by one. Got a tiny little tick off of one. Set the hook and almost immediately went airborne. :cool: Turned out to be a heck of a fight by a nice river smallmouth. Guessing maybe a 14" - 15" fish which is really big for this stretch of river. Of course, next cast...... lost that beaut of a jig. Oh, well....... have to tie a new one. :)

View attachment 7

Attachments

• 100_7836_e.jpg
    100_7836_e.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_7838_e.jpg
    100_7838_e.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_7840_e.jpg
    100_7840_e.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_7841_e.jpg
    100_7841_e.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 56

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Not a bad lunch break! Dude that jig looks awesome in the water. Good thing you got some pics of it to replicate cuz that thangs for real! Always like seeing your cool water pics.

Pup

Very nice pictures and your fish in the last picture is especially nice. :cool:

Agree with RD. That is an awesome-looking jig in the 2nd picture. Also, I need to get back to using a reel spooled with clear blue fluorescent line. Thanks for reminding me. ;)

Fast water, just below riffles, would be where I'd be fishing in my local river with the high heat of late.

hookup

Last pix's a nice fish for a small flow.

Looks like that craw pattern jig works.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the comments. Fishing in this river only gets better from here until around halloween, then it all shuts down. Hope to get out some more soon.

Ron Don - That is actually the only picture of that jig. Should be enough to go by. :D

Pup - I actually picked up that line by mistake..... but have grown to really like it! Very visible and is really strong line for being 6lb. I went back and bought another spool while i still had the original box so i would get the same stuff.

Back