Look in the shallow for a few

StumpHunter

Fished Thursday on a lake I use to have my camper setup near. Been two years since I fished there and wasn't disappointed. You always read that crappie hold in deeper water in the summer but I have always been able to find the crappie in the 15' depth but couldn't find the fish, tons of bait was holding on the flats. So I started working 10' deeps and started catching a few. Was very surprised when I was still catching good fish in 6' depths. Spent 5 hours fishing the shallows water with a total catch in the range of 50 -60 crappie, 4 cats and 1 perch. Kept my limit of 20 crappie, the cats and perch. Didn't enjoy the 120 mile round trip but it was a fun morning of fishing with my buddy Rosco. Got a pic of him kissing one of the bigger fish.
Also got a good pic from the DI unit of a small log-jam with fish holding on top. Few of em ending up in the cooler for the ride home :)

Attachments

• Russell 9-6-12 010.JPG
    Russell 9-6-12 010.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Russell 9-6-12 012.JPG
    Russell 9-6-12 012.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Russell 9-6-12 008.JPG
    Russell 9-6-12 008.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 85

JUNGLEJIM1

Great trip I'd say with lot's of action. The driving back is always the worst part. What were the hot colors for the day?

StumpHunter

Jim, here is the two that work very well. I also was using a baby blue jig that caught a few, don't have a pic of it. The color combo I came up with last winter has kicked some tail and is one of the top jigs in stained and clear water, the Blue (custom mixed) head/fire tiger/chart. Amazing that that jig has caught so many fish. Had a buddy use it all spring on a clear lake and named it after him. "Andy's Dandy" . I tie that jig with an orange head but while camping I had lost all my orange heads and had the blue heads with me so tied some on it thinking the body of the jig was what the fish were hitting the jig for but with that blue head wow!
All jigs were 1/16

Attachments

• 7-25-12 005.JPG
    7-25-12 005.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 7-19-12 Jigs 005.JPG
    7-19-12 Jigs 005.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 76

Radtexan

Great report man...Glad to hear you found some shallow....We had our first good cool down of the year this weekend...Come on fall !!!!!!!!!!!!!

120 mile round trip is the average out here...

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Nice catch! Crazy how u can stumble on a great combo. U can catch them here shallow year round practically. Ppl just don't do it or know it!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Awsome report! Always good to hear someone disecting the water to find the fish. That fish finder picture is killer too - shows those 'marks' holding right up over the wood pile. :cool: Is that more brush on the right side of the screen or the shore?

P.S. - Your Rosco looks about polar opposite of my Rosco dog. I have a senior age, overweight, white/tan basset hound that goes by that name. :p

toadfrog

Got visions of hush puppies dancing in my head . I haven't been fishing three times this year . Pics likethat just make me all quivery inside .

StumpHunter

Thanks guys. The fishing around here will only keep getting better as the days get shorter and the water keeps cooling. I have a boat ramp 18 miles from the house but it hasn't had water on it for two years now so to find a useable ramp I'm having to drive 35 miles. I'm lucky to have 8 lakes within a 2 hour drive.

Attica, My wife bought me Rosco in March after losing my 12 year old buddy to a brain tumor. He is a standard poodle and was 2 months and 15 pound when we got him. He has been fishing with me every time I have gone and thinks the boat is his now. He is now 62 pound at 8 months old and the vet said he will add another 15 to 20 pounds...
Here are a couple of pics. One on his first boat ride and one from last month. I have him groomed once a month and this cut seems to work well for him. Since I fish by my self 90% he is a lot of company.

Attachments

• Lake Hartwell 4-12-12 027.jpg
    Lake Hartwell 4-12-12 027.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Rabon 6-21-12 003.JPG
    Rabon 6-21-12 003.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 8

StumpHunter

On the depth finder pic there are more brush around and found some stumps I didn't know were there. This spot is on the inside bend of the river and seems to hold a lot of debris that washes down.

Back