List your rod/reel setups!

Shoemoo

Time to fess up, guys. How many rods and reels do you have? Here's my collection:

B&M Buck's Gold 14' with a Cabela's Pro Guide. I only use this rod when I'm walking the bank for crappie, or need a rod with a very long reach. It allows me to walk a jig and lift the pole over brush without having to reel in.The reason is it's too heavy for my liking. I had a 12' I liked better, but my fishing buddy slammed it in the car door and Cabela's was out of the 12's.

Berkley Lightning Rod 6'6" ML with Pflueger President. My newest setup, bought from Costco yesterday. I bought this setup mainly for the reel,the rod was a freebie. I may swap the reel with one of the other rods. I will probably use it for cats.

Cabela's XMLti 7' L with a Pflueger Supreme. This is my favorite light jigging rod at the moment. I use it vertical jigging for perch and casting floats for crappie and trout.

Cabela's XMLti 7' MH with a Pflueger Supreme. I use this rod when I need to cast heavier lures for bass. Going to try it bottom bouncing for salmon this year. Also serves as a backup cat rod.

Daiwa Triforce X 6'6" L. Probably the oldest rod I own at the moment, purchased back in the early 00s. I used to use it for trout, but since I've gotten better gear it's been semi-retired and I use it mainly as a loaner. It doesn't normally have a reel on it. When I use it, I swap out one of the Pro Guides or Supremes.

Okuma Celilo 9'6" ML. I use this rod float fishing for steelhead. It doesn't have a reel on it most of the time, but when I use it I swap one of the Supremes.

Ugly Stik Lite 7' M with a Cabela's Pro Guide. I mainly use this rod for cats.

Ugly Stik Lite 8'6" MH with a Pinnacle reel. Originally got this one for flinging heavy metal saltwater jigs (Buzz Bombs) for salmon. Now that I live inland, it serves as a backup steelhead float fishing rod. Couldn't tell you the model on the reel. It's the oldest reel I own, and the name and numbers are worn off.

Ugly Stik Big Water 11' with an Okuma Eclipz. I bought this rod for surfcasting when I lived in Seattle. Now it serves as a sturgeon rod.

WW Grigg 8'6" H with a Daiwa Tierra. This is my only baitcasting setup. I use it for bottom bouncing targeting salmon in heavy flows.

Now I know there's got to be folks out there with a larger collection than me. ;)

JSC

Lets don't go there ... A real mess ... And I like my old stuff best (For some of you guys it would be considered antiques) ... ;)

Pup

Way too many to list.

I'll mention a few rods that might be considered collectible or, at least, nostalgic... i.e. Lew's Speed Sticks, Team Daiwa Guido Hibdon, Sage RPL Graphite III, Thomas & Thomas Firehole, Berkley Lightning Rod LR12, and... it's time to stop. ;)

My favorite bait casting reel is a Lew's Speed Spool BB-1NG. A close second is an Abu Ambassadeur 3500C. My third favorite is an old Quantum 621, a pretty fast reel for its day.

I have a Shakespeare 2062 EB spinning reel and several Mitchell 308s. These are older spinning reels that I've mothballed and do not fish anymore.

Just had a thought, I need to eBay some tackle! :idea:

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
You all are killing me. I'm a cheap mo-fo too, take what i can get and usually have 2 of each 'general' variety on hand since i have a 2 rod state max. Abu Garcia has been the most abundundant of recent purchases....... Got a A.G. Conolon rod (5'6" - 1/8,1/4) stiffer than my usually UL rod and paired with a Pflueger med/light spinning reel. Really like it for casting spin-baits and heavier jigs. I have a few Berkley lightning rods, they just feel right in my hand.

I honestly don't fuss much over reels. In my mind, it is only a spool to hold and retrieve line. As long as it has a large diamater spool and lets the line run off easily on cast....... i could care less. Maybe just because i am used to hand palming my fly reel for a drag system??? I always set my drag fairly light so the fish takes line even on the hook set and i adjust pressure after that.

Fatman

Ok here we go:

For my UL stuff I really don't go below 6LB. is a BPS Pro Comp II 6 1/2 ft 2 piece lite action rod - if this ever breaks I'll cry!!!!!!! This is matched with a Shimano TX110 reel. Should have bought 3 or 4 more of these rods when i heard they were clearing them out.

My new little bushing rod is a 6ft. BPS Pro Comp II 1-piece rod with a Shimano Slade 1000 reel (still looking for another 1000 spool) - haven't used it yet but looking forward to it.

2 matched sets BPS Pro Comp 2 6 1/2' Medium action rods and they both have Shimano Sidestab 2000R reels

Another matched set is Shimano Magnumlite fighing rods 6 1/2 ft 2 piece rods model SM-2652 matched up with Shimano TX-120Q reels. These babies flat out work great for jigs from 1/8 - 5/16th. Hard to believe they were the top of the line Shimano's in 1982

My newest outfit is an Ugly Stick Pro lite 7' 2-piece rod and it's matched with a Shimano Symetre 1000FH reel and 6 lb. line. This outfit was all ready to go before I had all my medical problems so it is as yet unfished.

2 fly outfits -
1 Cortland Fairplay 8'6" 2 piece rod with a Pluegger 1494 1/2 fly reel
1 Renegade 8'6" 2 piece rod with a Pluegger look a like but it's getting a real one that I got at the flea market last year

1- 7' BPB Pro Comp II Crankin Stick matched up with a Zebco 1 Classic reel for 14 lb line

I also have a Shimano Spirex 2000FD spinning reel that's looking for a new rod - just haven't picked one out yet.

Lost Pole

These are my two and only and really only use the 10'er bc I can perform the same task with it.
6'er is a st croix triumph L passed over from pops. Had a stradic that i bought but it needs service, so now a cheap sweep fire. I keep 10-2 braid on this'n and countdown treetops from a distance swimming high action ties or a plastic triple tail.
My jig rod is my new baby. Just switched to the UL with bottom seat bc my elbows are shot. Only got it out a few times since purchase but waaaaay better than the bgjp I was using. Used to just cut the butt off but it was still heavy and took much to balance it w/ the light line keepers I love. Lighter w/o losing the tip load to complete flimsiness. load it w 6lb hi vis vicious.
That's all I need to do what I do.
If I hit the salt with my dad, the gear is never endingg
Used to be heavy in the high end bass stuff bf I grew up. Or should I say grew bills. Wish I still had those Calcuttas and Chronarchs so I could sell them again. Still got a huge bass box that needs to go.

StumpHunter

I'll have to take pics. I have 10 rods for longlining, 8 for spider rigging, 6 for pulling cranks, I'm guessing 25 to 30 for night fishing, a couple for shotting docks, one for casting jigs and I think 7 fly rods.
I fished for years with only two rods. Now that the kids are grown and moved on I have a few to fish with. With 6 grandkids it helps to have a few around in case :)

Hawnjigs

KISS
For fresh water, a 5'3" Fenwick HMG L 1 piece does double duty with 2 reels. Daiwa Capricorn 1500 with 4# mono & 5# braid and a Pflueger Arbor 7430 with 10# braid all full spooled at 150 yds. So, handles jigs from 1/32 to 1/4 with enuf backbone to bring in most anything. Most memorable was a tail hooked carp that nearly spooled the 10# braid.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Should have mentioned where my 'complete' collection stands right now......

1 - Ultra Light rig (4lb. line) for casting light weight jigs or a bobber/bait. Berkley Lightning. For: bluegill, perch, crappie

2 - Light rigs (6lb. line) for casting heavier jigs and spinner baits. The Garcia Conolon rod (5'6" - 1/8,1/4) is my new river stick. Other is another Berkley Lightning. For: Everything that swims

2 - Medium rigs (10lb. line) that are pretty heavy duty. For: Trolling from my kayak or tightline bottom fishing.

1 - 2-piece, 5wt. Scott fly rod. Is my baby.... only rod i have a tube holder for. Has a cheapy reel, the rod was a gift.

Then a collection of 4 tip-ups and 6 ice rods that have been pieced together from old rods by taking the top section of a full rod and changing out the guides and adding a handle.

My kids both use Shakespear Rainbow spinning combos and have 2 12' telescoping rods they use sometimes also.

Everything i use has a spinning reel (apart from the flyrod) but have wondered about trying a baitcaster for the river and casting some heavier stuff.

Back