Light Wire hooks

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I have a couple buddies thats been wanting some of the really light wire hooks. Wanting them to straighten out when they get hung. I dont have any and never have had any. Anyone know where i need to look to get them?

PLan on checking with shorty's in the morning but havent seen them in a catalogue.

THanks
Ronny

Fatman

Ron they don't have them!!! You can get them from Simmons Sporting Goods in Bessemer,Al. 205-426-0490. They're an Eagle Claw Classic SPECIAL BRONZE 1350. When I checked they were about $10 a hundred!!! If you were to buy them in bulk you might get a better price but I was lucky to get them to answer my emails!!!

redear

seems to me that charlie brewers slider bait co. has them in size 4 only. I looked them up a while back and they wouldn't say what brand they are, just that they are customs.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I do remember hearing talk of lightwire hooks somewhere but it sounds a little hoekey to me. The cheapy gold hook jigs (Arky brand maybe?) you get from W-Mart bend out very easily using down to 4lb line as long as your knot is good and you use steady pressure. BUT, have had them bend out on fish in the past also. :exclamation:

I know, i know.... customer is always right but how light can you get and still be strong enough to hold fish? Then again, i don't fish the amount of brush most peole do for crappie.

Still just sounds funny in my brain..... has anyone ever actually held one of these 'lightwire' hooks in their hand and able to tell that they are thinner wire and not just cheaper metal?

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
I got a bunch in today. I'll try to remember to post pics tomorrow. I didnt get a chance to really play with them but i did pull one out of the pack. A couple first impressions were that they were sharp and definitely thinner. I dont think they are too thin especially for a crappie. Alot of the guys wanting these are longlining in stumpfields.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I can see an advantage there.... hanging up on a stump (or 2) while trolling jigs on several different rods could cause a mess. Getting hung up while your boat is in motion and the rod in a holder is a recipe for a broken rod - done that before.

Am interested to see what they look like.

Would be my luck to be fishing for crappie or perch and have a 10lb walleye grab on to a light hook. ha!!

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Ok so i didnt forget! Its hard to tell from a picture on these but they are finer wire. Hooks are much sharper than the 570 on the right. There shouldnt be an issue of a crappie bending the hook out. One of Russ' big ole 10 lbers might be a different story but hey thats what a loose drag is for!

lightwire.jpg

JUNGLEJIM1

Definitely look thinner. I think regular bronze jig hooks are the first to bend anyway compared to gold,red and black nickle. I rarely use bronze since they rust easier than anything else. Leaving plastics on a bronze hook is a no,no A week later and rust is forming.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Oh they are very flexible! I havent used them personally yet but i know they will work well for straightening out.

Fatman

I know he wasn't real happy when the info about the hooks came out cause if you want to spend the cash for them you can make them yourself.

Back