LedHed check these out~~!!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I had recently come across this in the past week or so myself. As far as i can see.... no outright plagiarism has been done that i can see with either text or names. The pattern is very slightly different as well.

To complicate things even a hair more, i believe they (or at least one of them) are a member here. Same general geographic location as well. Possibly there is a mutual agreement? Have to hear from LH on that. It would be nice if there was acknowledgement of where a certain pattern/style is first seen or learned from. I know and remember where i learn certain tricks from and make sure that others know where or who i learned from. It is just ethical.

As i said, don't want to jump to conclusions and point fingers, but i also don't mind this post being out on the public board. It shows that if you don't want your specific productive pattern to be potentially used/sold/marketed by others...... best not to post them on an internet forum. ;)

FWIW..... i am still dumbfounded how TTI/Blakemore/Roadrunner can defend their style of head. Do they hire (bribe with product?) minions to troll forum boards and search for knockoff sellers? I have seen a few members of other sites who come off as darn near working for them in defending that patent.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Can't see it I'm not a FB'er!

Whens the last ACTUAL lawsuit or cease and desist letters involving road runner heads? Not just here say. There's only about 100 different versions of bellyspins on the market today.

StumpHunter

Not sure if they know each other but from reading info on his site he designed this jig. If so good for him but if not give credit where it is due. Have not heard from Led but I do remember him stating someone was selling a jig like his on a site. The only difference in this jig is the chenille body that does look good on the jig. Not sure if this person is a member of BBG since it has been a long time since I have been on that site.

You are right about if you don't want to see your jig on other sites don't post them but then "how do you sell em" :D

plateboater

That is the problem for people that just want to learn. Lurker's take the designs and make others not post for each other to learn from. Could be assuming but looks not cool but I will stop!!!!!!!!!!!

Pup

AtticaFish said:
FWIW..... i am still dumbfounded how TTI/Blakemore/Roadrunner can defend their style of head. Do they hire (bribe with product?) minions to troll forum boards and search for knockoff sellers? I have seen a few members of other sites who come off as darn near working for them in defending that patent.

Insight Here

Bucko

you'll have that anywhere you go. guys tweak it and call it their own. there's a guy up here that sells roadrunner knockoffs and gets away with it. he sells at trade shows all over the Midwest. I asked him how he gets away with it and he said " very carefully". lol

also on a side note.. bimbo skunks are all over up here. turns out the guy is a local here... another rip off someone's jig from here.

LedHed

Sponsor
Thnx for the heads up Ronnie. Got some friends, out here, that let me know also.

Yeah Russ - guy just signed up and really don't know why. We know him as Chivo from his FNN (local freshwater site) days. He is local and has absolutely zero creditability with me. I don't think he has come up with a pattern that he can honestly call his own yet. Belly spinner comes out - he does a chenille rubber butt and calls it one of his patterns. He's offering standard run of the mill crappie jigs like they are state of the art secret weapons. I think he has somebody out in South Carolina tying his jigs for him. Uses a lot of materials from Crazy Angler's....

You can't stop people from doing as he does - after all I've posted tutorials on the internet. But I don't post to inflate someone's ego or wallet.

Think "the line in the sand" is taking credit for an idea or an adaptation when in fact it's blatantly copying. Chivo has observed the success I have catching BGs and REs out here (with the Auto and glow in the dark materials) and is taking those ideas, modifies them, and claims it as his own. They are now catching large BGs at Lake Skinner on the Auto knock off - monkey see monkey do.

Ronnie - he has signed up at BBC and is pimping his jigs to Jim Gronaw - looking for in-Fisherman fame maybe...... Got to start another post on how they catch big BGs - kinda like a team event. We got front row seats when we fished Lake Skinner on Sunday.

pb - imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery - it's the money making or credit taking that's the problem. Can't stop posting because of a few unscrupulous people.

toadfrog

Get used to it . The tackle business has more pirates than the ocean ever had . You don't often see me post new stuff . Maybe a rehash of something . As far as Blakemore . Well I went my round with them . I don't own a single product from them or anybody connected at the hip to them . There products were pulled from my stores the first letter I got . I made what I wanted sold what I wanted and told there rep I'd rock salt his tail if I ever saw him again .

Bucko

this guy that sells the roadrunner things just uses the do it mold. if it is a do it mold I don't see how they can come after you since do it lets you sell jigs from their molds. if anyone was too have an issue it'd be do it.

Shoemoo

Just my opinion, but I think trying to claim a jig pattern as your own is a lost cause. Hand-tied jigs are basically wet flies tied on a jig head instead of a hook. There are zillions of fly patterns, and I'd guess 80% or more are modifications of older patterns. Just like the woolly bugger is a modified woolly worm, which is in turn a modification of even older flies going all the way back to Issac Walton's The Complete Angler.

Personally, I like to do a lot of experimenting with different materials. I have come up with a few patterns that work well on my own, but I have no doubt others have experimented with the same materials in the same way. I would be very offended if someone were to see something I came up with on my own and accuse me of stealing their pattern. If you see something that looks like it is a ripoff of your idea, it's probably just best to assume the person came up with it the same way you did.

@ Bucko

They have a trademark on the head style. They're one of the few tackle companies that can aggressively defend their trademark, and they do so because they have to. The law says if a company doesn't defend their trademark, it becomes public domain. They're not so much worried about guys making a few pony heads out of their garage as they are the other large tackle companies making their own knock offs. But if they don't stop the little guys, they can't stop the big guys. I really wish that weren't the case, since I prefer sickles and Blakemore doesn't make RoadRunners with sickle hooks. One of these days maybe I'll get the mold.

Belly spinners work OK, but IMHO the RoadRunner design is simply better. When you drag the head through the water the hook eye forms a pivot point and the swivel and blade ride in a straight line, which means it spins easier at lower speeds.

eyecrosser

The problem with Blakemore Roadrunner is not just copyright/defense of their product; it's keeping the market cornered or monopolized on that style head and charging outrageous prices for them. Yes, they are productive but we all know as tiers on here what the cost of materials, spinners, etc... is. They have about a 300% markup from what I could pour and tie them for. Very ridiculous. I too stay away from buying their products due to the fact that not only is the price outrageous for both the tied and the ones they hang a plastic bait off of but, 2nd, because they choose to attack the little guy who couldn't possibly hurt their conglomerate. The jigs I tie catch just as many fish anyway:))LOL

Shoemoo

Maybe it's my area, but the cost for RoadRunners doesn't seem out of line with what other manufacturers charge for commercial jigs. If you buy them in single packs they're what, around $1.50 each? I did some math once on how much I would need to charge to make a profit selling jigs, and the price per each wasn't that much off what a RR would cost.

Yeah, they cost a lot more to buy than I would spend if I made them for myself, but making and selling them as a business is a different story unless I wanted to make less per hour than I would flipping hamburgers at the local fast food joint. Anyone who has made them knows what a pain in the butt they are to paint compared to normal jigs, and then there are the extra steps like messing around with split rings. RR heads cost more in materials and take more time to make, and in business time is money.

toadfrog

I guess I carry a grudge to far and to long . But that style head was on the market before Blakemore was a concept . They are a pain . They are more expensive to make . A long discussion of this came up on CDC several times . CDC is a big supporter of them and I suppose they are sponsors there. I Myself only go there if friends contact me there . If they are members here all I can say is "Howdy BOYS I AIN'T FORGOT YA YET ! LMAO That's funny I don't care what anybody says .

Shoemoo

They were able to trace the original design back to the guy that started the company. He then sold the company to someone else and died in a boating accident shortly afterward. Blakemore was able to produce proof when they applied for the trademark, so it sounds like they are within their rights to claim it.

As far as CDC goes, I agree with you toad. I sometimes visit the jig making forum but I rarely post due to personality conflicts with a certain member. And if you think you know who that is, you're probably right.

Kdog

Question CDC is that crappie dot com. I looked at center for disease control (Google search for CDC) nothing about jig making there.

toadfrog

Kdog yep Crappie.com .
Shoemoo I know exactly who you mean LOL I'll Just SKIP over that name

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Always amuses me where a discussion can start and then ultimately end up. We got a little off topic.... i might be at fault there. :p

Pup - That is a great link to the TJ Stallings blog. Interesting information. He is probably noticing all the back links to this discussion.

I have said it before...... CDC is probably THE best place to talk crappie fishing. A ton of great information and good members there, but i don't always agree with their sponsorship and advertising policies. There is a thin line between open discussion and all out marketplace and some tend to throw their weight around more than others.

Pup

AtticaFish said:
Pup - That is a great link to the TJ Stallings blog. Interesting information. He is probably noticing all the back links to this discussion.

Found a little more information that goes beyond the Road Runners. Blakemore has an interesting history. They've catered to bass fishermen too. I did not know, before today, that they once sold batteries.
Here's the link:

Blakemore Lures – A Look Back

Have a Blakemore Troubleshooter crankbait in one of my tackle boxes. It's a collectible lure to some.

I do remember Jimmy Houston pushing Road Runners with strange-looking plastic tails called "Turbo Tails" on his TV show. Have several of them in my boxes that just collect dust.

Back