Learning to bend

AndyLane

Got to play around at the desk a little today. Wanted to see if I could figure out how to make some mini v-spin frames. Think i got the concept down but I need some more practice and maybe some better tools. I'm using a Very cheap set of round nose jewelers pliers and a regular pair of needlenose. The double spinner ones are just something I'm playing around with. Forgot to put a penny or something in pic for scale but these are very small.

View attachment 7

Attachments

• IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 164

LedHed

Sponsor
Have a Cabela's bender if your interested in a swap. You might want to try building a jig to do your bends.... Great looking work - especially for doing it by hand.

QPassage

They look really good especially for hand bending. I tried by hand, but they were so bad, I was a shame to fish with them. If you start bending a lot I highly recommend a Twist tech.
http://www.sdcustomdesigns.com/TwisTech-Wire-Former-p35.html
I really, really, like mine. I did a little you tube investigating prior to my purchase "just a recommendation". There are better benders but they just weren't cost effective for me.
I'm not affiliated with the above link and I bought mine at janns netcraft. I also have purchased bullet sinkers and inline blade for my trout fishing. I've had a ton of luck fishing the Panter Martins and actually have made my own very close representation of them.
GreenHolograph1.jpg
WP_20131108_18_56_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20131114_18_29_06_Pro.jpg
I always bend silver and gold blade on the same color, Gold for overcast days silver for sunny days. I always take a variety of colors to Cumberland, the trout there are really picky on colors and sometimes it takes all day to find the right color.

AndyLane

Thanks y'all! Hey QPassage Those are some great looking spinners! Question for ya or anyone for that matter. Whats the best or good way to go about powder painting lead spinner bodies?

QPassage

AndyLane said:
Thanks y'all! Hey QPassage Those are some great looking spinners! Question for ya or anyone for that matter. Whats the best or good way to go about powder painting lead spinner bodies?

What I do is just use a piece of wire or a paper clip. When I'm doing spinners I'm usually not doing a bunch of one color maybe 6 of each or so. Taking a paper clip leaving the 2 ends bent allows to slid on then dip into a small cup and then hang. I then take them off, put on a wire, and space to cure in the oven. Usually 350 for 15-20 min. I may be a little different but I use a propane torch to heat mine, then dip. You have to watch it the lead will melt quick on the torch, but it fast painting. 3-4 sec and dip. Needle nose pliers are faster on the paper clips compared to the hemostats.

toadfrog

Keep your eyes peeled for tungsten weights . Sometimes you can get really good close out deals on them . I picked up 8 packs with four in a pack @ .97 cents a pack . They were pencils and worm weights . worked marvelous . Andy your a tough guy if you make many of those by hand like that . That is a good job . Time for a bender though . If you take LedHed up on the bender I'll send ya some extra mandrels for it . Somebody stole the bender so now I just been kicking around the parts .

Back