Lead Source

SlabHappy

Does anyone know of a good source for lead? I am looking to get a little more, and might start pouring some bullets, once I buy a black powder gun. Been getting some from ebay, sometimes can find it for about $1.25 per lb shipped.

Kdog

Rotometals is now well over $2 PER pound including freight

Local sources are your best bet but it has gotten almost impossible to buy locally unless you know someone. Fortunately I "KNOW A GUY" and occasionally get lead when he needs a favor,

Looking at lead free alternatives is a bit shocking and most are in the $20+ per pound range and many are very low melting point and cannot be powder coated.

Keep dinging Ebay and stockpile. Last year I was running very low and played ebay for a while and was staying below a buck a pound. I am in good shape for my personal stock but never stop looking. If you start casting big muzzle loader maxi balls you will go through a bunch in a hurry.

QPassage

Kdog said:
Rotometals is now well over $2 PER pound including freight

Local sources are your best bet but it has gotten almost impossible to buy locally unless you know someone. Fortunately I "KNOW A GUY" and occasionally get lead when he needs a favor,

Looking at lead free alternatives is a bit shocking and most are in the $20+ per pound range and many are very low melting point and cannot be powder coated.

Keep dinging Ebay and stockpile. Last year I was running very low and played ebay for a while and was staying below a buck a pound. I am in good shape for my personal stock but never stop looking. If you start casting big muzzle loader maxi balls you will go through a bunch in a hurry.

Talk to your local roofers and plumbers. A lot of the older shower pans being tore out these days are the old lead pans. Roofers use lead boots for the roof vents.

LedHed

Sponsor
I trade lead (bricks or ingots) for stuff (old US coins, UL crankbaits, vintage fly tying tools, etc.).
Also looking for clean duck flank feathers (dyed or natural).

redman

Led Hed I talked to the local bait shop owner who rents out duck blinds. He picks and cleans his clients ducks so offered him cash or jigs to save all of his Mallard and Gadwall flank feathers. Deal made. Might work in your area I know somewhere in California there is a feather pillow factory that uses duck and goose feathers you might try that to find out about that.

I trade Aluminium for lead at our local scrap yard. Down here in Texas there is still a barter type system going on among people.

Redman

hookup

I gotta guy too - he owns a commercial tire buiz and I trade jigs for lead.

Bit nasty on the clean up though; needs a couple high temps melts & fluxing w/ wax; and many tires are now using alloys that are not useful - yields about 50-60% - but serves my needs.

And his.

Fatman

Have a roofer and two plumbers in town who call me when they come up on the roof flashing or old lead water pipe. And when I go back home to visit check with my BIL who does civil war re-enactments they also do shooting comps with the muskets so usually can score some lead from him.

Shoemoo

Do you have a pull-a-part junkyard around? Take a pair of pliers and pull off as many wheel weights as you need. Taking a strong magnet might help too, so you can test for steel WWs.

goodtimesfishing

Shoemoo said:
Do you have a pull-a-part junkyard around? Take a pair of pliers and pull off as many wheel weights as you need. Taking a strong magnet might help too, so you can test for steel WWs.

Have you done this or know someone who has? You have me curious what they would charge if you walked up with 40 or 50 pounds of ww in a 5 gallon bucket. When I first read this, my thought was that the wheels are all taken off of the cars......but they are placed on rims. Got me curious.

Shoemoo

goodtimesfishing said:
Shoemoo said:

Have you done this or know someone who has? You have me curious what they would charge if you walked up with 40 or 50 pounds of ww in a 5 gallon bucket. When I first read this, my thought was that the wheels are all taken off of the cars......but they are placed on rims. Got me curious.

Some junkyards leave the wheels on, some take them off and put the cars up on jack stands. I did it when I was at the local junkyard for a (cheap) part and they didn't care that I took the WWs. I think I took around 50 or so. Might vary depending on the business, though. No harm in asking.

Back