Lead score

Jungleboy

Been a while since I posted here but I thought I would share my big score I got last week from the local tire shop. Managed to get 5 pails of wheel weight for 40 bucks.:) After sorting them and separating the zinc and steel weights , I ended up with 380 lbs of clip on lead 100 lbs of soft stick on type weights and 40 lbs zinc and 40 lb steel .
Once I melt them and pour them I should end up with 350 lb of ww lead and of course 100 lbs of soft lead. Considering melting the zinc and using it for decoy weights but may just take it in for scrap.
I had all but given up on tire shops thinking lead wheel weights were a thing of the past but apparently there is still some being used.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Sounds like you've been processing wheel weights awhile.

Have you tried melting zinc yet? Long ago before I knew to separate a zinc contaminated wheel weight melt galvanized my cast iron pot & ladle and was very tedious to clean.

Jungleboy

Hawnjigs said:
Sounds like you've been processing wheel weights awhile.

Have you tried melting zinc yet? Long ago before I knew to separate a zinc contaminated wheel weight melt galvanized my cast iron pot & ladle and was very tedious to clean.

I have done it in the past . I actually built a big lead smelter from a 20lb propane bottle and did about 700 lbs of ingots up a few years ago. I intended to cast for my 45 70 and just never did it . I eventually sold the lead off. This time I have the same plan ( I'm a slow learner ) but also want a stock pile for jig heads . I have never tried zinc yet but would use a sacrificial pot in case things don't work out.

Back