Lead Prices

Kdog

in safety and accuracyI have slowly depleted my last big supply of lead and am finding good quality scrap lead virtually impossible to find.  Looking to resuppply so looked at rotometals and find lead is almost $3 per pounds.  was not too long ago that it was readily available for under $1 pound. But I think I am about to bite the bullet and order a couple hundred pounds to keep me going.

Rotometals does supply virtually  pure lead which with all Ive seen on this and a few other sites is probably as a good idea as much of the lead being found, scrounged, otherwise located is eother wheel weights, #2 alloy or lord only knows what else .  I saw some lead being advertised a while back n ebay asked how it was being tested and the answer was fingernail.  other than my fishing lures, I cast a lot of round balls, mini balls and maxiballs for muzzle loaders.  Those guys do care about having pure lead and it does make a difference especially with safety and accuracy.

Nightprowler

Kdog said:
in safety and accuracyI have slowly depleted my last big supply of lead and am finding good quality scrap lead virtually impossible to find.  Looking to resuppply so looked at rotometals and find lead is almost $3 per pounds.  was not too long ago that it was readily available for under $1 pound. But I think I am about to bite the bullet and order a couple hundred pounds to keep me going.

Rotometals does supply virtually  pure lead which with all Ive seen on this and a few other sites is probably as a good idea as much of the lead being found, scrounged, otherwise located is eother wheel weights, #2 alloy or lord only knows what else .  I saw some lead being advertised a while back n ebay asked how it was being tested and the answer was fingernail.  other than my fishing lures, I cast a lot of round balls, mini balls and maxiballs for muzzle loaders.  Those guys do care about having pure lead and it does make a difference especially with safety and accuracy.

Try asking on Craigslist, you may be surprised what people will give you. I have a guy sell me 900# for $40. But I had to take his hunting and fishing gear also.....

Kdog

Nightprowler said:
Kdog said:

Try asking on Craigslist, you may be surprised what people will give you. I have a guy sell me 900# for $40. But I had to take his hunting and fishing gear also.....
good idea, but Im tired of cleaning lead and in my area there is so much #2 alloy and mixed wheel weight lead that its all suspicious.  The scrap yards wont sell it to individuals anymore claiming that it must go to a recycler.

Bucho

I found a halfway decent supplier where I pay 4 € for a kg of clean lead (maybe 5 now) and never looked back. Had some real nasty, unnerving experience on e-bay which I find is no place to buy metals. Customer protection just doesn`t work with metals. If you are lucky to find a decent supplier there, build up some trust and cut out e-bay!

hookup

Find someone who delivers nuclear medicine - they are not allowed to reuse the lead crucibles - but they are allowed to recycle it at their expense

Jay Wirth

Plumbers are a good source. I am currently paying around 1 twelve pack per 10 lbs of scrap sheet lead.

Back