Lead Handling

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
EDIT - 4/16/2010: Information is now posted on the main index pages of JigCraft.com - Lead Handling Safety - concerning lead safety. Please read all replies to this thread as well, there is some excellent information that is not covered on the other page......

Orig. post -

Does anyone have any links to "good" information about lead handling & safety? I have gotten some info together but would like to have as much as possible. Also, like to hear your thoughts on precautions you use, anything useful i will put up there. Thanks! - AF

LedHed

Sponsor
Some personal notes on pouring – not necessarily in order…

Start with a CLEAN, well lit, area (a dedicated spot with plenty of ventilation) with everything laid out before plugging the pot.

Safety glasses, apron, and gloves are highly recommended.

Wash your hands - all the time.

No fluids around your pouring area.

Do-it web site has some excellent safety/pouring info.

Block out your pouring time – no visitors, calls, and especially no kids.

I use an ingot mold for “drip pan”. Every once in awhile you might have to tweak the stem - to keep the pot from dripping. Use a wide blade screwdriver – top of the stem has a slot.

If your lead is turning blue – turn your heat down – lead is hotter than it needs to be.

I don’t smoke my molds (have bought some that have been smoked), never had to. If you tilt your molds (allows gas to escape from the mold), pre heat, and use soft/clean lead you should have good pours.

A small magnet is very useful for picking up loose hooks – like the ones that are on antennas. Hemostats, slotted screwdriver (for the stem), and small vise grips with a T pin (to clean the pour spot occasionally) are good tools to have close by.

I use high temp grease, if it’s necessary, to lube a mold – like mine kind of tight. I use WD-40 to free up rusted hinge pins (ebay buys).

After a few pours the mold is going to be hot – be careful when you are placing hooks – this is when you start getting fast.

Bottom feed is probably the safest way to pour. I leave an almost completely filled pot when I’m done. Keeps the pot rust down and it’s ready for the next time to pour.

If you do leave lead in your pot, don’t try to move the stem until your lead is completely melted. The stem will not seat correctly if the lead is not completely melted – you can have a real problem.

Don’t use your bottom pour for cleaning lead – especially wheel weights, too much foreign matter and salts. Have a dedicated pot for cleaning weights.

Be careful and safe, no short cuts (quickest way to the hospital). Go slow – except when you are putting hooks on a hot mold – LOL.

Jiggin Joe

Just the basics like dont eat or smoke while working with lead, wash hands and change clothes before handling your children or getting it in your living areas, where eye protection,gloves, long sleeves,jeans and shoes. keep it well ventilated and just think. Thats about all I got.

JJ

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Updated the main index "Safety" page of the site - Lead Handling Safety - Let me know if i covered all the basic info. Please refer to this thread for any additional information or questions.

A special thank you to Hawnjigs - LedHed - Jiggin Joe - Doc Crappie. Thanks for your help!!! :)

meltleadalot2693

LedHed said:
Some personal notes on pouring – not necessarily in order…

Start with a CLEAN, well lit, area (a dedicated spot with plenty of ventilation) with everything laid out before plugging the pot.

Safety glasses, apron, and gloves are highly recommended.

Wash your hands - all the time.

No fluids around your pouring area.

Do-it web site has some excellent safety/pouring info.

Block out your pouring time – no visitors, calls, and especially no kids.

I use an ingot mold for “drip pan”. Every once in awhile you might have to tweak the stem - to keep the pot from dripping. Use a wide blade screwdriver – top of the stem has a slot.

If your lead is turning blue – turn your heat down – lead is hotter than it needs to be.

I don’t smoke my molds (have bought some that have been smoked), never had to. If you tilt your molds (allows gas to escape from the mold), pre heat, and use soft/clean lead you should have good pours.

A small magnet is very useful for picking up loose hooks – like the ones that are on antennas. Hemostats, slotted screwdriver (for the stem), and small vise grips with a T pin (to clean the pour spot occasionally) are good tools to have close by.

I use high temp grease, if it’s necessary, to lube a mold – like mine kind of tight. I use WD-40 to free up rusted hinge pins (ebay buys).

After a few pours the mold is going to be hot – be careful when you are placing hooks – this is when you start getting fast.

Bottom feed is probably the safest way to pour. I leave an almost completely filled pot when I’m done. Keeps the pot rust down and it’s ready for the next time to pour.

If you do leave lead in your pot, don’t try to move the stem until your lead is completely melted. The stem will not seat correctly if the lead is not completely melted – you can have a real problem.

Don’t use your bottom pour for cleaning lead – especially wheel weights, too much foreign matter and salts. Have a dedicated pot for cleaning weights.

Be careful and safe, no short cuts (quickest way to the hospital). Go slow – except when you are putting hooks on a hot mold – LOL.

I also take the extra step to melt outside and wear a face shield and a respirator with p100 hepa filter cartridges.

Back