Lead Free Jig Heads

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
http://leadfreejigheads.com/index.html

Just got in some heads from Keith (Hawnjigs) and must say they have to be the cleanest heads i have seen. I took a snap shot of a few.... it is pretty amazing but i don't think there is a bit of flashing around a single hook shank or eye! Can not tell there was ever a sprue on most of them either. :cool: Excellent craftsmanship. :icon14:

100_4691_e.jpg

100_4694_e.jpg

These teardrops he made are lead at 3/8oz. and 1/4 oz. ;) Crazy sharp hooks too.

100_4700_e.jpg

Fatman

Great looking jigs!!! Are the first ones tin or bismouth mix???? Since I don't have any how are they with powder painting?? Longer heating time to dip, and cureing time same 350 20 minutes???

Do the teardrop heads come in a 1/16th??? I'm at work and can't get to the website so that's why I'm asking LOL

Hawnjigs

KISS
1/16 thru 1/2 oz. Do-it Teardrop Jig mold. Can be cast without the wire keepers, just a little melt thread down the shank to nip off.
http://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Teardrop-Jig-Moldbrwith-Wire-Keeper-P2528C55.aspx

#4 or #2 Sickles fit the 1/16, if the batches have the correct size eye legs.

These particular ball heads are a guesstimate 350* melting point bismuth-tin alloy. Pure tin is 450* and bismuth 520*, any alloy of the two has a lower MP than either pure metal.

Thanks to AF, we will find out how that alloy powder paints, or not.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
The lead-free ball heads paint just fine! Would say not to put them directly over an open flame to heat... i have easily melted off true lead from the hook doing that. It is hard for me to gauge if i am directly over the flame when i do it that way. My heat source is sort-of an indirect heat where i can keep the head about 8 or 10 inches from the flame. It heats up the head slower but you can also 'pre-heat' a jig while you are painting another. Works for me anyway. ;)

100_4717_e.jpg

I heated them just hot enough to get the powder to stick for the black then back up over the heat till the black powder just starts to turn glossy. Pull it off the heat and tapped on the glitter/clear mix. Back over the heat till it is starting to gloss over again and then set aside. Cured them at 250* for 25 mins as written in the spec sheet as an alt. cure temp/time for my powder.

Hawnjigs said:
Thanks to AF, we will find out how that alloy powder paints, or not.

Fatman

AF great paint job and EXCELLENT INFO!!!!!!!!!!! One of my main problems up here is if you go to another state - some of the waters are lead free, some certain size only, total non- lead in only certain waters. It's really crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You almost have to have a few different box's of tackle set up for where you're think you're going to go fishing. My nephew wasn't here last year - he was in the sandbox - but he's already getting his boat ready to go so might be doing more than bank fishing this year.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, perfect paint jobs! Another very skilled powder painter and jig maker in OR mentioned innovating the exact same method to PP lead free - great minds think alike.

BTW gang, those are the Ultra Point 32833 Xstrong hooks. The excellent pic clearly shows the heavier forged wire and the renowned Mustad UP sharpening which is more resistant to tip folding than needle point Sickle or even Gamakatsu. My molds all had to be modified when the hooks first came out, but now with the Do-it Steelhead Ball molds anyone can pour them. What i like about the hooks is that the same jigs could be used for anything from pond bluegill to steelhead to even saltwater species.

Fatman

Hawn good looking hook but you know your gonna have the folks who just gotta have sickles in em!!! I'll take a review of a hook more from those here that use them then I will from a Company.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Not pushing the Ultra Points for sale just spreading the love. Sickles might be best choice for crappie due to time tested performance and value, but for other applications the upgrade wire strength, fold resistant points, and increased tying room the 32833 offers make them my choice.

meltleadalot2693

To get the type to have a degree circle by the number, you hold the alt button while pressing 248 and you will get ° or the sign for degrees.

Fatman

Depends on which Service pack your running - and depending on your system some Service Packs won't download because they're too big.

Support is ending for some versions of Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/end-support

•Support for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) ended on July 12, 2011.

•Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) ended on July 13, 2010.*

If you're running one of these versions after support ends, you won't get security updates for Windows.

Squeakyboatcaptain

I am with Heath....Those teardrop heads are awesome..... I have been looking for my next mold....BINGO!!! Gotta have it!!! Now.....Where to get it the cheapest?????

Back