Larger jig hooks

quivira kid

Hey guys, I'm still a newbie at figuring out what hooks I like and need, so I figured I'd just ask.... For my crappie jigs, I'm using exclusively black nickel finish Matzuo sickles. However, I would like a bit stouter model hook to put in some 1/8-oz and up heads for use for walleye, bass, wiper..... fish that may very well straighten a sickle. I'd love black nickel finish if possible. Will be using in ball head and walleye head styles at the moment! Thanks!

Zac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duffy

The problem with going to a heavy hook is that they may not fit your mold without some mod's to the mold. When I want a stronger but smaller hook I use the Mustad 32833 NP-BN which are a tempered steelhead hook. They are about .011 larger wire but still fit my smaller molds  and are pretty tough without being overly large or brittle. Price is a fair amount more than the Matzu's though, like .05 VS .13 cents ea but if your only doing a few for yourself & buddies not a real problem. The Eagle claw Lil Nasties would probably work but they are not as firm as the 32833's and are the same wire size as the Matzu's but better quality. I've cast jigs for a while and just started tying and by no means a pro at this so I'm sure someone else will chime in with a bit more experience and maybe more options.

hookup

I've caught pike, musky, walleye, catfish, & citation small mouth bass on matzuo sickles and have never had one straighten

I've even used them in brachish & salt on striper, perch, & pickerel with no problems

I also like the Gamakatzu 114 - a thinner diameter hook than matzuo's, and again, never had one straighten

Hawnjigs

KISS
I use modified Pro-101 molds for 32833, but these two Do-it ballhead molds would save the trouble if you don't mind casting two at a time per size.
http://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Steelhead-Jig-Molds-P336.aspx
32833 short eye legs would be a challenging mod in a walleye head.

Light wire obviously hooksets more easily and will hold 99+% of fresh water hookups, but the rare bendouts were the ones that I REALLY didn't want to lose. For my saltwater, light wire is a BIG NO-NO, guess I ain't got Hookup's skills.

My former favorite Gamakatsu 604 is a super sharp medium-heavy wire hook but has gotten too dang expensive for my taste.

I think Bucho posted a link to a source of Matzuo 3x Sickles, but I haven't used any myself so can't advise on mold fits.

Fatman

Must have missed that on the Matzuo 3x sickles might have to look those up. I've got a LOT of Mat sickles black chrome left but moving to the EC little nasties. Once I got all the mats replaced I tested every one of them (locked them in a vise and yanked really hard with some braided line - the new ones they sent me didn't break off)

I've hooked some nice 6-7lb pike on #6 sickles and didn't get broke off but for steelheads!! time for heavier hooks!! Those steelies can leave you with a hurtin!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I have a decent supply of customs poured for me with the Mustad 32833's..... they are nice hooks and is what i would prefer if going heavier than a standard wire. They have an excellent point on them too. The barb might be a little smaller than other hooks, but doesn't bother me. If you sink them in, they stay put just fine.

Kdog

I landed 20+ pound catfish and carp with sickles ( matzuo and little nastys) as well as a number of 8# plus walleye and have never had a hook straighten. The sickles are super sharp which IMO increases hooking ratio

AllenOK

Thank you all for this thread! Now that I'm in MI, I've been wondering what I should do for a source of heavy-wire jigs for Steelhead.

hookup

guess I ain't got Hookup's skills.

No skill - just haven't caught a striper big enough to break the hook lol

I do like the thin wire hooks - easier penetration in the jaws of a smallie

I poured & painted some Mustad 32798 5/0 in 1/2 oz for stripers and last week my buddy got one close to 50# on the jig.

Hawnjigs

KISS
There must be a good reason(s) why many anglers prefer heavy wire hooks like myself. I'd like to think its cuz we catch bigger tuffer fish, but many of you guys posting got me beat.

Most of my bendouts have been on Sickles, can recall right now 4 different size hooks, but considering Matzuo's well known quality control, all might have been less than optimal tempered batches. Surely, after 55 yrs. of rod & reel practice my playing skills can't suck that bad ?

duffy

Most of the ones I've had bend out have been from rocks or logs but did have a large trout rip a treble out of a hardbait once. If you really think about it, once the hook has penetrated past the barb it's pretty much pulling in a straight line with the shank unless the fish is big and thrashing around. I've had probably more lures simply fall out from being hooked in the thin skin on the mouth.

quivira kid

Thanks for all the responses! That will get me a good starting point! I really really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackie53

View attachment 5View attachment 6View attachment 7 These fish were caught on a # 2 sickle hook (matzou) on braid.these fish are lifeted up about 4' have caught hybrid striper's walleye,flathead catfish,gar never had a hook straightened. Never the sickles are very sharp and strong hooks matzou and the lil'nasty's.

Attachments

• 0529151627-00.jpg
    0529151627-00.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 0605151656-00.jpg
    0605151656-00.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 0814151628-00.jpg
    0814151628-00.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 25
Back