large underspins

Bucho

Reading about the herring underspin mold I thought I order some large connector links with it for use in my larger molds. Tried the H-type and Banana today -  H type worked fine, the banana head however pushed into the blade since it was not balanced. The BTH-8-L mold is surprisingly easy to modify, just a little notch into the spare.

23885075ku.jpg

23885080pc.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
It does look like a nice and easy little modification. Easier on the pocket book than a new mold. Can't wait to see how you dress them. Never would have crossed my mind about the banana mold balance, your mistake might help some others before they try.

Mooki

Nice ones!
I re-used one of my old and definitely under used molds, also decided to make hook selection a bit easier...
Did have to use a soldering iron to clear the eyes though, a quick "dab" with the tip and the eyes were clear.
Seems that the "spinner arm" must be pretty close to straight beneath the eye length wise, or the balance will be off and cause tangles.

*** replaced pic with smaller ***
350kmxz.jpg

Fatman

I can see a bit of the tip on your painted pic but thats it. Your second mod looks good but I see your gonna have to do some trimming of excess flash.

Mooki

Yup, quite some trimming - but that's what I get for starting my "career" with trawling for the cheapest molds I could find.
Have a few more similar molds and they all have a rather sloppy fit.
Good news is that since they were dirt cheap, and I have better molds for stuff I actually use, I can now in good conscience go wild with the Dremel  :D
Replaced the pic with a smaller one.

Bucho

So here´s the dressed jig then allright. I had a request for peacock jigs the other day that got me into using 1mm mono extentions. I thread a (rubber) skirt collar on the mono which can later be used to fixate a pike wire stinger on the tail. This way, my customers can use the 1,5oz  18cm jig for both chucking them after pollock in norway and vertical/pelagic pike and zander fishing in their homely gravel pit.

23996976du.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
That is a beautiful looking bait.  Great tail, clean neck and a soft hand on the paint tapping.  It is a work of art....... and functional with the ability to adapt for different fishing styles and species. :cool:

Bucho

Thanks! Truth to be told, the tail is made of a pre-tied flounder teaser that I bought bulk from e-bay at 50ct a piece. Once I find the chinese manufacturer on alibaba I will be able to cut that by another half, which is the only way to deal with the bucktail prices and labour costs over here. I made the first extentions myself and found it very difficult to tie bucktail on a limb mono. Will save my working time for the very large feather extentions that I bear in mind for +10" hucho lures. Here`s the peacock jig extention en detail, I make a simple overhand knot into the mono, secure it with laquer, thread the brass tube on and crimp it in place. While on the mono, the collar is loose enough to let a pike wire pass through but once shoven over the bucktail bob it will hold it in place. That much for the tank testing, I will give it a swim on a light wreck fishing trip on sunday. 

23998608yu.jpg

23998609gv.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Ok.... it took me a few looks back at the jig setup, but think i understand it now. The teaser tail DOES NOT have a hook in the pictures, correct? At first i though the teaser HAD a hook (thought it was hiding in the bucktail) and you had gone absolutely MAD thinking the rubber skirt would hold it in place to catch a fish! haha.

Bucho

Exactly. I was first experimenting with a tail section tied on a second Hook on pike wire instead of mono but then found that a kinked or broken wire would have rendered the lure crippled. The ring is only a guidance for an OPTIONAL stinger wire which is used by many freshwater anglers here for lures longer than, say, 4" or so.  Other than a plastic, a hairbait has no "flesh" that you can stick a triple in so I had to come up with something else. 

http://www.eu.purefishing.com/blogs.../16/einen-stinger-bauen-schnell-und-haltbar/#

Back