Jigging Spoon (from the so called Do-It mold)

Bucho

Simply because I like new lures, I bought myself the so-called jigging spoon mold. I took the first one down to the jetty, dipped it in to see the action and with the 3rd lift I hooked the first legal sized brown I´ve seen since spring. Coincidential but impressive! Anyone uses this mold? I like a very small slab with a thump. The smallest shad spoon has been very productive on baltic sea rainbow escapees, and this one is even smaller. No need to mention I instantly dremeled a run-through-variant. Since the wire form is so wide, there is no problem running an extra notch without further modification. I also like that the mold already comes with extra space for swivels. Full bearing makes for great rotation. 

34198545iy.jpg

Hawnjigs

KISS
Any reason why these will work better than Flutter Jig slabs ?

With no better option right now hit a spot with only dink trout yesterday and surprised that 4 - 10" dinks managed to get hooked up on the 1/4 size FJ.

Like you, I pour my slabs with tin and think the unpainted flash is a primary attractor.

Bucho

Not saying it was better, I just like to try new stuff and wonder if somebody has some knowledge/experience to share.

I love the FJ as a single lure but it has its limitations. For instance, if you combine it with a sabiki rig - which is very popular over here - in order to target cod and herring at the same time, you will find that its delicate balance will easily be compromised by draging 5 other hooks behind. The shad spoon is doing a better job there.

34211976bu.jpg

I also like the idea of a flounder attractor in the 3/4oz range for deeper tubulent waters where the lightweight USD wobble jig won`t cut it.  We use to have a small venture cultivating a specialized stamped stainless steel spoon for that purpose. Unfortunately, as soon as the idea took off it was pressed out of the market by cheap industrial lead-poured knockoffs that performed poorly but people found easier to maintoan bottom contact with. The Shad Spoon as a run-through did well in that role, too, but a distinguished product with an even wider shape might be easier to communicate.

buttloeffel-modelle-different-flounder-spoons.jpg

Kdog

Hawn, I wont say its better than a flutterjig, but being much wider action will be decidedly different. I like them in reservoirs whereas the flutter jig performs better where you have current to contend with such as rivers.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the smallest size Do-it jigging spoon is 5/8 oz ?

Kdog, are you saying the wider jigging spoon has better action than the FJ in still water ?

Bucho

exactly. It weights 11gr tin, compared to the 16gr of the smallest shad spoon. I tried the 1-3/8 lead today with the sabiki rig and as expected it wasn`t impressed at all by a full 6 hook rig, means it performed wonderfully with a nice action.

Kdog have you noticed any difference with respect to the direction? Is there a front and a rear end? I just paint them as they come.

Kdog

Yhe action is different. The jigging spoon has less flash, but presents a more visible flash as it turns slower imo than the flutter jig
As far as right wrong end, I cant tell a difference. Seem pretty symetrical to me

Back