Jiggin after dark

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Nice night last night other than a few sprinkles, so i headed out right at dusk after the kids were in bed. Not a huge number of fish but all on a new jigs. :D Will post the jig later... have a new trick with rabbit strips.

Big fish was 12.5" with the others right at 10". Also caught 3 small bass. Was funny how much presentation mattered, crappie were all caught on a stop and go retrieve (on the pause) and the bass would only hit if it was a constant slow swim. Anyway - here's the pics. :)

View attachment 4

View attachment 5

View attachment 6

Attachments

• 101_1193_e.jpg
    101_1193_e.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 101_1194_e.jpg
    101_1194_e.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 101_1195_e.jpg
    101_1195_e.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 75

jiggerjohn

Great after dark fishin'! I've noted recently the exact same type of retreive patterns for crappie & bass with rabbit strip jigs that you've observed! And this summer I plan to work quite a bit after dark with a special ultra long rabbit strip jig for largemouth bass -tho as a long time member of the " Association of Shoreline Stalkers" (you do the acronym!! But Hawnjigs and I are the only members -we have a wild jig logo!!!) it gets a little dicey after dark with jigs among trees ,bushes, and briars, as well as other night time critters encountered!

JUNGLEJIM1

Can I join the association ? I'm a shoreline stalker,but don't fish much after dark for crappie and bass. Maybe I should because I have more time then. Attica,do you use a float at night or fish without one? I usually only fish for catfish at night.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I posted my jig i used up in the tying section - Keeping zonkers from fouling... I was using the 1/8th oz. one on the top.

jiggerjohn - Night time critters, you just reminded me - arrrrgh!!! That night a $%$ "*^!!!!! duck that was sitting on a nest (did not see it) only about 5 feet from me decided to hold his ground while i was fishing. I took one odd step in his direction and he flew up!!! Almost fell backwards over my bucket and was swinging my rod like i was a samuri warrior. :p Also said a few choice words once i figured out what actually happened and my heart rate slowed back down - had to be quite the sight!!!

junglejim - Normaly i will just swim jigs or use a tiny cheater float pegged on my line to slow it down even more. But on this night i was actually using a bobber (with a light stick stuck in it) after finding this lake was getting choked in areas with weeds. When i could find an open area, i wanted to fish it as slow as possible, so switched to the fixed float. I fish after dark more than during the day anymore. After the kids hit the bed, i head out. :D

radtex - I don't drink out at the lake... would be nice, but i live in a very small town and the cops have little to do during the night. The ale (& 2 others) was my reward!

Thanks everyone!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
ragged edge said:
Kitchen pass after dark? How does that work? I only get the daytime pass.
Nice looking fish!

Haha! My wife works in the house over the computer, so her time to work is after the kids hit the bed. If she's busy with her work, she's more than willing to boot me out the door... so i don't bug her. :D

Back