Jig Fishing in Yuma, AZ?

spotail

I am moving to Yuma, AZ for work and want to know if anyone on this board fishes in this area? It seems like mostly bass country to me, so I would like to know what kind of jigs work in the southwest.

SaltyBuckster

You have the Colorado River running right through there also.Mostly largemouth and some nice big bluegills around.Lots of grass in the water.Any crawfish patterns and black and silver.Lots of threadfin shad in all of those waters.You'll only be early morning and night fishing for quite a while,lol.Probably until November.

spotail

Jig Man said:
Sunscreen....

Yeah, I know what you mean! I'm a fair-skinned yankee, so I might wait until winter before I really start exploring. I do have a float tube to get into some of the backwater.

Doc Crappie

Banned
Best be careful exploring some of that southern back waters, for they have things that go bump in the dark down that way..... lol

hookup

Nothing like a bikini hatch to pass the time between bites ...

spotail

CrappieHappy said:
ragged edge said:
Check out Lake Havasu, eye candy galore, you will forget all about fishing.........

Leave it to Jackson!!! LOL

I have heard about the fishing and the shenanigans at Havasu. It most be quite the town!

spotail

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am looking for the types of jigs and the associated heads that will work well in this area. In WNY my jigs were soley created to fish creeks and rivers for steelhead and smallmouth bass. I do not have a lot of experience fishing for largemouth, besides fly fishing from the float tube.

What size heads and designs will work in this area? I would like to tye and paint jigs while I am down there, so any advice would be appreciated.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Hey Stump, as I recall that movie was filmed around your stomping grounds !

One of our members, Cadman, specializes in making bass jigs and fishes them in tournaments.

SaltyBuckster

If you are going to be going for gills,1/64 and 1/32 with a size 8 hook.Dark colors,Black and silver are a staple there.Same with largemouth.Big baits.1/8 and 1/4 oz.Use sickle hooks for everything.

ragged edge

Here in New Mexico I fish for crappie and walleye and have been very successful. I tye my own jigs using #4 sickle hooks and the colors seem to be yellow/orange for sand bass in the spring, all black for walleye and chartreuse/black for crappie.........

CrappieHappy

ragged edge said:
spotail said:
CrappieHappy said:
ragged edge said:
Check out Lake Havasu, eye candy galore, you will forget all about fishing.........

Leave it to Jackson!!! LOL

I have heard about the fishing and the shenanigans at Havasu. It most be quite the town!

Heath, don't be a hater.....lol

Jackson, not a Hater,,,, just a lil jealous... LOL

Hawnjigs

KISS
Hey Ragged Edge, thanks for the black walleye suggestion. Hopefully I'll be targeting them in WY for the first time late Sept. and was tying mostly light colors.

ragged edge

Just thought of another combo that works well here. Bright green head, green/black chenille or wild apple and chartreuse feathers. When I say feathers I am referring to hackle not maribou. The maribou does not seem to last long with those toothy critters.......jmo

Back