Jig fishing for winter bass

JUNGLEJIM1

I got out this afternoon and with water at just above freezing was surprised anything was biting but happy they were. Everything caught was on craft hair jigs in 3/32 with a #1 Gamakatsu 114 jig hook. Colors were black or custom gray glow with flash down the sides, two strands. Caught 14 in three hours with two over 5 lbs. Lost one big one that I never seen and got into a tree and broke me off.     

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Attachments

• jj1_e2.jpg
    jj1_e2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 37
  • jj1_e1.jpg
    jj1_e1.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 37

JUNGLEJIM1

Sorry about pics, taken from cell phone and don't know how to reduce size, second picture looks cool though, unintended closeup. Maybe someone can reduce the size for me.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Dang, open water winter bass !? Those are some chunks ! Is this normal weather for the time of year out your way?

JUNGLEJIM1

It was really cold the early part of January but got some 50-60 degree days and lakes are ice free but water is really cold, not one jump from any of them. We usually have a really cold winter every 4-5 years and this is colder than normal with some days below 0 and will chill -30. Getting cold again soon so winter isn't over yet. It was mid 50's on this day but felt colder by the water.

hookup

I've caught river smallies with ice chunks floating on the river

This time of the year on the right coast you're fishing for a couple bits a day

Way to get out there and get 'er done

Back