JB Weld for Mold Mods

Hawnjigs

KISS
OK, you guys have posted some tips on its use, notably:
1. Once applied, difficult to remove.
2. Shave excess before hard cure.

Mostly, I'll be using it to fill light wire hook eye slots to re-drill for short eye leg heavy wire hooks. Just enlarging the eye slot lower to the head still allows vertical movement of the eye = sloppy hook shank off angle thru collar heads.

So my main question is, if JB the right product for the job? Can it be drilled cleanly with a Dremel type cutter bit?

Jay Wirth

JB Weld should work OK. I have done something similar to remove the collar from jig. I dont think you need to drill the space - once you apply the JB Weld (before it cures press your hook into it to create the cavity needed. When hardened you will will need to lightly file flush so the mold closes tight.

hookup

I use JB weld all the time. Rough it out with the smallest carbite dremel bit you can buy then clean out with a triangular file. If you remove to much, mix up another batch.

One tip. A meniscus is the curve seen at the top of a liquid in response to its container. JB weld will form a meniscus when cured that will have to be filled in. Took me three times last mold mod.

edit. I need to stop being so freak'n lazy & pull out the camera next time I do some mods

Kdog

JB Weld will work just fine.
JB Weld Hi Heat is the better choice
thermo steel http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...epair-jar/_/N-25y6?itemIdentifier=515553_0_0_ this is wicked and sticks and is machineable and available at many auto parts stores

The best IMO is Lab Metal http://www.alvinproducts.com/

Most will work very well, Be sure you mold is clean before you apply but if you are planning on moving the hook eye, hi temp silicone may be a better choice. The entire hook slot will need enlarged when going from light wire to heavy wire

Hawnjigs

KISS
With several product choices did some research. Thermosteel got more bad than good review on Amazon with a net 2.5 out of 5 stars. Lab Metal appears to only be available in larger containers the cheapest running around $17. So, choice between JB Weld original and high heat, think I'll try the original because it appears to be fluid which I think might be a tighter fill for hook eye slots than Hi Heat putty. Both were rated max 550*F. I plan to fill the stock slots with JB then drill out for larger eye shorter leg heavy wires.

Am currently using high temp silicone to tighten sloppy eye slots after enlarging, but its messy and hard to measure & position a small just right amount dab accurately. Plus, may take awhile but it eventually detaches.

Meniscus concave should be no problem for this application, but good to know to expect it.

Kdog

Not trying to argue a point here. Usually I look at reviews when I can find them, the Amazon reviews and I read all of them are kinda funny. The bad reviews were truly examples of people trying to make a "Silk Purse out of a Sows ear". In my experience, It sticks better than JB weld and due to its runny nature fills smaller voids much better. Lab metal is much better but you need the thinner along with the product. Unfortunately it does not really come in small quantities so cost is not attractive. but it stays where you put it and can withstand a lot of abuse. I've used it for a lot of repairs on core boxes in the foundry and they get a lot hotter than jig molds and see a lot more intense use. So please dont discount products based on reviews where someone was trying to make a repair where they really needed a new part.

Now, one hint for you to save some time. use some modelling clay to fill your jig head before using the filler in the eye slot. It makes a very nice dam which is easily removed and saves a lot of fine detail work during the finishing stages of the repair/modification.

hookup

I'm a keep-it-simple-stupid (KISS) guy.

JBWeld's at Home Depot for $6. Use the stuff for everything. Had it around, grabbed it, used it.

Simple.

Cheap.

Worked.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I'd definitely trust members' experience based suggestions over anonymous mass marketing online reviews, sooo...I'll try both Thermosteel and JB. I like that the TS has a much higher heat rating. Unfortunately, the professional use quantities of Lab Metal and thinner are excessive for my application, but good to know its available.

Would a tiny dab of silicone in the tiny eye leg channel effectively dam the eye slot from run out?

Kdog

Hawnjigs said:
With several product choices did some research. Thermosteel got more bad than good review on Amazon with a net 2.5 out of 5 stars. Lab Metal appears to only be available in larger containers the cheapest running around $17. So, choice between JB Weld original and high heat, think I'll try the original because it appears to be fluid which I think might be a tighter fill for hook eye slots than Hi Heat putty. Both were rated max 550*F. I plan to fill the stock slots with JB then drill out for larger eye shorter leg heavy wires.

Am currently using high temp silicone to tighten sloppy eye slots after enlarging, but its messy and hard to measure & position a small just right amount dab accurately. Plus, may take awhile but it eventually detaches.

Meniscus concave should be no problem for this application, but good to know to expect it.

Hawnjigs said:
I'd definitely trust members' experience based suggestions over anonymous mass marketing online reviews, sooo...I'll try both Thermosteel and JB. I like that the TS has a much higher heat rating. Unfortunately, the professional use quantities of Lab Metal and thinner are excessive for my application, but good to know its available.

Would a tiny dab of silicone in the tiny eye leg channel effectively dam the eye slot from run out?

Yes, the red silicone works very well. I have even made a few molds from it. Its a short term solution but it is fast and easy,

hookup

For temp fixes, I've used plumbers puddy before & it worked & advantage is you can clean it out quickly

Back