Is it real or is it Memorex

toadfrog

View attachment 9Here is one for Ya . I know what it is . I know who made it . The only question I have is . Does anyone here know what this is .

Attachments

• Rare Lure Replica.jpg
    Rare Lure Replica.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 137

toadfrog

View attachment 8I haven't hooked myself YET . The weather got cold before I could filed test them . The first pick is an original toad lure . I hand made the body and the blades of the replica. But the second pic is a replica of what is said to be the first wooden crank bait . The original was made by Harry Comstock in 1883 Fulton, NY. He is also the only tackle maker to date to ever commit suicide . Here is a pic .

Attachments

• comstockhellgramite.jpg
    comstockhellgramite.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 109

snake River

those deftly look like you're from outer space but they are definitely homemade stuff but they do not look that bad the first picture would work fantastic if it floats I don't know if the body is wood but if it is with the buzz bait blades it would be fantastic surface bait it with deftly make a ton of noise whoever made it was on the right track largemouth should love that thing. When I was very young about 14 I made a whole made flatfish and I painted it black I went to a small lake say about 20 miles long and I was fishing a inlet you have a slow wobble to it the water was clear and I can see down about 5 to 6 feet when I was retrieving it I noticed that a bass was fast approaching in about four more of his buddies beside him one smashed it I cooked him and another one come right beside in it it also in I cooked him so I can't 2 class at the same time somehow I destroyed the action by changing the hook set up so anything that you might have in your head are wanting to try it may just work fine don't be afraid to experiment.

blt

If you had a Biggun grab onto the rig, would you worry about the mortality rate of fish you release? Seems like a lot of hooks going into the mouth, and then trying to get that fish unhooked. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, not even sure one fish could grab all 3 from that rig at one time.

toadfrog

Back in 1883 the Idea of catch and release was unheard of . They put as many hooks on a lure as they could stand most of the time . The country hadn't become over populated then and the fishing was heavenly . The only reason I catch and release is respect for the land . I try to remember to give back to the land and water that has feed me all my life . I'll use a lure like that to stock the freezer . Survival cancels out all previous political programming .
Snake the lure can float if you put a smaller weight on the tail . It sits like a bobber that way . When you retrieve it . The head tips over and the blades start to sputter . Sort of unique .
Truer words were never spoken when it was posted that I need tackle intervention classes . Oh My . I wonder how much of my fishing funds that will take .

snake River

talking about classic fishing lures in catching fish with a lot of hooks I've used many crank baits in the past with 3 to 4 trouble hooks you're lucky if you get one or two of them in the mouth but it's usually when the fish strikes you will set the hook so it doesn't matter if it's got 10 hooks on it or just to but back in the old days they were after catching food I do not keep any bass I release all of them I made a lot of fishermen sick when I released 6 pound largemouth or better we even catch and release crappie that are undersize I only keep what I can eat I freeze a few crappie fillets for winter but we do not over do it where I live there is no limit on size or weight or length on crappie you can catch all you want which makes me sick there's so many people here that will feel a cooler full I'm talking about the big guys most of these people are selling them I tried to get a size limit in my part of the country and also a fish per day limit no goal they did not go for it at all so that's the way it is here are fishery is slowly declining a little bit because they lower the reservoir and kill the eggs the crappie population is surviving I don't know how but they are it is not like it used to be remembering back 15 years ago you can fill a 5 gallon pail in a couple of hours or even one hour these were all three-quarter or better pound fish occasional two or three pounder which is a nice size crappie sorry to get off the beaten track of crank baits but I had to throw this in.

blt

Good path to walk. Seems like no fish is there the way it used to be from what the long time fisherman tell me. Most times, the people that make these decisions don't want to listen until its to late, and then OVER react. Where I saltwater fish, Flounder, striper, and now Tautog/blackfish are not regulated well.

toadfrog

The only thing about throwing big fish back is after a fish is 5 years old the fertility of the eggs decline considerably . A clutch of eggs may be large visibly but only produce half ratio . Some species worse than others . Catfish decline the fastest .

Pup

There is a post with discussion about Comstock's Flying Helgramite over at Joe's Old Lures web site today.

Twas mentioned that this lure might be worth as much as 7 to 8 thousand dollars if found in excellent condition. :Banane44:

Back