In-Fisherman article

deathb4disco

The IF on the stands now has an excellent "small jigs" article. The author often uses tungsten beads instead of lead. He also makes some interesting points on plastic vs. hair/feathers and tipping jigs with bait. There are some good tying and fishing tips.

I forget if it is the Oct/Nov or Nov/Dec issue. Anyway, it has a smallmouth on the cover.

smalljaw

Thanks for the heads up, I don't have a subscription but I do get the ones that have info that is relative to my fishing. From tying bucktails and rabbit hair jigs for river smallies in cold water for a long time I can tell you that one thing is the plastic doesn't move very well in cold water, hair looks much more natural and it doesn't take much for hair and feathers to move were as plastic you needto move it fast in order to get action but I want to see what other differences they have listed, it should help a ton!

deathb4disco

smalljaw said:
... plastic doesn't move very well in cold water, hair looks much more natural and it doesn't take much for hair and feathers to move were as plastic you needto move it fast in order to get action ...

That's his main point. He thinks it makes a lot of difference, particularly for bluegills.

jiggerjohn

Good stuff in that story, and the main jigmaker in that piece,Barry Williams, certainly has some interesting panfish ties on his website in his "roadkill" series. However, the author,like many , still doesn't have a handle on basic physics -twice as heavy doesn't sink twice as fast -on water or on land! But tungsten heads are smaller & can cut water resistance to a degree - my friend Greg Wade of Wade's Blades.com has began selling the famed ice fishing tungsten jigheads of euro ice fishermen , and these tiny, strange shaped things are deadly with small plastics or hair! In researching this, I also noticed that in international fly fishing competitions, those that do "Czech nymphing" with tungsten beaded nymphs have been unbeatable for years and completely revamping tactics of flyfishing "deep jigging"!

deathb4disco

jiggerjohn said:
... I also noticed that in international fly fishing competitions, those that do "Czech nymphing" with tungsten beaded nymphs have been unbeatable for years and completely revamping tactics of flyfishing "deep jigging"!

I'm pretty sure that, for awhile anyway, those guys actually were using small jigs. That got outlawed pretty quickly, though.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
deathb4disco said:
...My bad...

No problem. Soon as i read the article it got me thinking about the heavier weight helping to keep 'contact' with the hook throughout the retrieve.... more so the fall after the first cast. Still think that best bet is watching a close eye on the line at least till it touches bottom for the first time. Maybe that is just the way i fish thoug? I like alot of the ideas the writer brought up but not sure i want to go as small they wanted to go with the hooks. I do have some 12's and 10's in nymph hooks, but honestly would prefer to keep a size 8 about as small as i go.

DB4D - On a side note - check out the PORTAL page here. I use that page as my bookmark. Gives a quick look at some recent focus topics in the main part of the page but has all the recent topics that have been posted on down the left. The software company told me i'd like it...... so far i have.

Back