In-Fish Hair jiggin' panfish article

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else pick up the Oct/Nov issue of In-Fisherman? Has a decent article about using heavy heads (tungsten) with feathers and fur to create jig-fly lures. Pretty good read, makes me want to find some tung. beads to play with.

Struck me as funny that they said hardly ANYONE is using the perfect combination (they call in synergy) of fur/feather on jigs. duh! We been doin' that for awhile now. :D

Fatman

Hard to even find on the newstands here. Used to have a subscription to it but had to cut back on the magazines. Have to check with the guys at work to see if anyone gets it.

Fatman

Attica was a good article but most of the jigs shown I have seen for years and the wooly's people have been tying for a long time.

tacklebox2tn

I have been tying tungsten heads for several years now. I use #14 up to #10 fly hooks, 3.0 to 4.5 slotted faceted tungsten beads. Gold, silver, copper.
I bend the eye to 90 deg and use the thread/rabbit hair to hold the bead in place. The jigs hang at about 45 deg's, like the regular store tungsten jigs.
View attachment 7

Attachments

• tungsten.jpg
    tungsten.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 153

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Those look good tacklebox2! Simple ties but downsized to #14 -#10 hooks.... got to do wonders on the fish. I make a bunch of my own leadshot heads on fly hooks and have never had an issue with getting fish to hook-up.

Need to get me some tung. bomb beads. :jig:

quivira kid

From what I understand, if they hit any rocks or anytbing hard the tungsten shatters into a million pieces. In the right situations, the jig/flies are KILLER and the tungsten should make them even better.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Jig Man said:
...tungsten would be used in water where lead is outlawed????

Certainly can be used in the states that are 'lead free' but it does have some other advantages. Is a more dense material than lead so it simply weighs more..... you can get the same weight out of a smaller size head.

One thing i have read about a few times is that alot of manufactures of tungsten beads and weights actually use an alloy mix of tungsten so they can cast the shapes easier - believe it has a VERY high melt point. The result is a lighter weight than pure tungsten but still heavier than lead. :rolleyes:

Thinking i had also read somewhere that since it is more dense, it will also show up on a flasher (ice fish finder) easier than with lead of the same size. Could have just dreamed that one up tho. :p

Back