If it ain't troos ain't no use...

Hawnjigs

KISS
Quote from Jigger John many years ago.

I'm a stubborn guy when it comes to diverting from tried & true to adopt new ideas or stuff.  Such it was with using chartreuse because it just didn't look like anything resembling natural prey that a predator might eat.  Well, 360* later its now my fave color for nite jigging softies.

In particular, catfish find chartreuse Gulp irresistible, noticeably outfishing my fave natural colors pearl and opening night Powerbait minnows.  Wipers seem less particular but troos certainly gets bit at least as well as the aforementioned natural colors.  Jon got his (unreported) state record wiper on a 2" stub cut from a Gulp troos "Sinking Minnow" which more closely resembles a 5" Senko.

Any comments on chartreuse or other favorite color ?

Superdave336

Interesting how chartreuse use to be a yellow color now it’s more green. I’ve even seen it called chartreuse yellow or chartreuse green. Either way it’s one of my favorite colors as well.

Kdog

Colors matter, but dont get hooked on one. I had a lot of luck on chartruse, but avoided pink, Now, I have a rainbow of colors, muliple shades of most colors, I know it makes a difference but cannot figure out why. Often, I fish with 2 other guys and orange is a popular color in april and may. But it must be the exact orange the fish want. I have a custom orange I made from a bright red orange, harbor freight yellow, some white and a couple other oranges that I had on hand. got bored and made variations as follows 10 custom, 1 white, 10 custom, 2 white etc. all said and done 11 colors of orange. seen it too many times for it to be a coincidence. 1 of those 11 shades will work and none of the others. When 3 guys are in the same boat, 1 is catching and the other 2 arent and only difference is the color. we switch rods and bite follows rod.

As much as I hate saying it, shades matter. No I dont like carrying over 1000 jig heads but there are times when being the only boat on the lake to catch fish is priceless.

Superdave336

I knew color was important but never would have figured they were that picky. I do like pink though, probably my top 5 colors. Chartreuse, Gray, white, black, blue, pink, orange.

Kdog

Different days, different results. The orange, we are convinced is matching egg color which changes daily

hookup

Color only matters when it matters. But when color matters, color really matters

Small mouth love chartreuse in certain conditions. Not sure why other than either they can "see" it or the color just pisses them off.

I'm a traditional natural color match the hatch guy, but when nothing's working I'll go out of the box with colors that get noticed. Chartreuse is one of those colors

duffy

I have a tendency to get stuck on one color and just have to break that habit. I do have the best luck with chartreuse on the walleye's but did try a red head sparkle tube with char tail and they were just hammering it. A fellow here uses a pink head jig with a smoke glitter grub and said it's his go to bait. I need to catch up with work and get to the river again. Been waaaayyyy too long since I wet a line...

Back