ID?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Have 2 small reservoirs now for my home town and the 2nd was built about 5 years ago - if my memory is right. As small towns go, there are numerous different stories about who and how the new reservoir was stocked. Been catching more decent sized fish from it this year so have fished it more and more.

Anyway...... caught 3 of these last night right at dusk. All were 7.5" or 8" and wow did they fight! Thought for sure i was hooked into a bass on the first one i caught.

View attachment 2

View attachment 3

View attachment 4

I know for sure there are Warmouth, Green Sunfish and regular Bluegills that live in there...... this one almost looks like a mix breed though. If it is a Green Sunny or Warmouth - would be the biggest of those 2 species i ever caught. I am thinking it is possibly a Green/Bluegill hybrid??? Could it be a Long Ear? It looks close to one in appearance but don't think they are common in N.Ohio and honestly can not remember ever catching one.

Whats your guess?

Attachments

• 100_5118_e.jpg
    100_5118_e.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_5119_e.jpg
    100_5119_e.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_5122_e.jpg
    100_5122_e.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 93

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry about the bad 'n fuzzy pics..... was getting dark and tough to get a decent pic.

Forgot to mention also that i was catching them on new little jig. I took a wild stab at making some of those west coast 'Auto' style jigs. Think it might be similar but with a dub body and short kip tail. They've been working excellent and catching mostly without using any livebait tip. :icon14: Got some pics of them today..... post those later.

toadfrog

You ought to fish around here I live in perch purgatory . That is a green I think . Heck I don't know perch is a perch or a big perch like that .

quivira kid

Twin brother from Kansas.... about same size, just more color.

563996_735251753203_907970596_n.jpg

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Ron Don said:
Bet he did fight! Are greenies the ones that take over ponds and lakes?

I do fish in a few lakes where the population of Green's out-number the B.Gills badly, but they seem to prefer slightly different habitat. The G.Sunnies and Warmouth will hang right up in, under and around any rock available but the bluegill tend to be more middle & top of the water column roamers. Could just be due to the majority of Rip-Rap lakes i fish.

QK - as for the light coloration, that could be because there is no cover at all for these fish. Is a 'dishpan' type upground reservoir with no weeds, sticks, stumps or overhanging ANYthing. The fish tend to look a little sun bleached at times.

Nobody shot down my thought of it being a hybrid so that is what i'm gonna say it has to be. :p Need to get a better picture of one during daylight.

hookup

Ditto on the 'gill - some stay under rocks & logs & see no light and turn dark as the night.

Back