Ice Rod Rehab

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I have been going through and moving all my ice gear near the front of my shed getting ready. I did this modification to an old, very stiff, ice rod last year in place of what i know as a spring bobber to help see light strikes. When i got the rod (second hand) there was only a clip-on line holder. Notice my other handi work of attaching a spare reel on with a couple of hose clamps! :D haha.

101_1787_e.jpg

Anyway, for the spring bobber modification, i used an old broken low G string from my acoustic guitar (the pack rat in me) as the main wire and some other stiffer guage wire to make the tip eye and the attaching arm to the original rod tip. I just wrapped it all up with thread and sealed it. This was my first ever venture into this realm so go easy on me :blush: it is not the neatest work, but it does its purpose.

101_1782_e.jpg

101_1783_e.jpg

101_1788_e.jpg

I caught some fish on it last ice season, the guitar string holds the weight of up to 1/16oz. or so before it bends over to much to be usable. I'd say this is not a good rod for jigging V'Bees on, the wire just doesn't hold up. I did place it in my car funny one time and bent the heck out of it all, but simply bent it back to shape and it is no worse for wear. I am very happy to get some sensitivity (visible anyway) out of this old rod. I would not do this to a newer rod, but had nothing to loose on this one! :cool:

Uncle Grump

Attica

Me like - may have to tweek a couple of my rods this season.

Some electricians tape would be easier on the hands than those hose clamps....

UG

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Some more fine ingenuity! Get you some plastic zip-ties to hold the reel on. Works great and you'll never know they're there.

papaperch

Russ : Get those clamps off of there and use heat shrink tape. I used clamps like you did one year and couldn't wait to get back home to take them off. If you decide to use tape get the kind that only sticks to itself. Your hands will thank me for this advice. As for the spring bobber well done. The spring bobber actually serves two purposes. Obviously for stike detection but also for presentation. Using the spring bobber for presentation allows the user to " soft swim " the lure. Thats means real tight movement in front of fish more like a quiver instead of a fast movement. Just cannot duplicate with regular rod tip.

As a finishing touch coat them thread on the bobber a red or chartreuse color. White can get lost when snow on ice. By the way that solid wood handle will impart a nice strong sense to the bite.

Another free hint when ice fishing hold your rod like a pencil. This is ala Dave Genz this allow you to work a bait real slow which is what you want most of the time on the ice. Holding the rod the regular way its almost impossible to move it slow enough some days. The daggone wrist just don't listen as good as the fingers do.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies.

Duhhh.... never thought of using electrical tape! My light bulb comes on slow at times. :-/ The clamps really are not too bad on my hands, but my gloves and sleeves do get snagged on the sharp end of the clamp. I usually do hold them as pappaperch suggested so only my pointer finger lays over top them. I like the shrink wrap idea, but know i have the black tape in my tool box. :D Also will have to paint the tip red, i like that!

I have one other rod i am going to try to piece together as a new ice rod. it will be fairly stiff as well so i am going to do this modification to it also. Only major thing i will change is making the 'spring' part just a little shorter. The one pictured is 6 inches long so have to move the tip about 6 inches before i can get the strength of the rod itself to set the hook for me. Next one i think will only be 4 inches max.

Back