Ice Mods For New FF/GPS

papaperch

Wonder how long before someone notices this thread. Anyway pretty happy with my final production on this. K balled my old system and went with new Helix 7 to replace old 788 CI. Installed rod holders as part of my fish finder platform. Used to put old rig on top of empty five gallon bucket. Just got the GPS/Sonar combo as the DI and SI are pretty much worthless on the ice.

Now I can comfortably sit and observe what going on down there. Poles will be with in immediate reach and the entire rig even with the 24 AH battery only weighs 11 pounds even. Won't even notice that weight in my Otter sled.

Made platform out of lightweight aluminum plate and angle. used rivets and bolts and nuts. Never did care for the ice rigs like Genz box and such as they are pretty much a one trick pony. Hence my fabricating exactly what I want. Overall measurements are 12" wide X 10" deep X 17" high.

papaperch

FM- aren't allowed 4-wheeler or snowmobile on inland lakes in ohio. Lake Erie ok but not other lakes. This thing fits very comfortably in my Otter Sled. This is actually going to cut down on bulk and weight of the stuff I usually lug out on ice. Thats why I did it.

Last year vowed to myself to get truly organized for ice fishing. This is just start. Mods on the Otter Sled are next.

Figured it would take a couple weeks for anyone to read anything in the ice fish forum.

Kdog

Looks good, well thought out and well made. Since you made it, it is what you really want.. So GREAT job!
Personally, I would add a wire between the uprights to hang used baits from so they can dry and prevent duplications
Also, after a trial run, I would consider taking it to a weld shop and having the main joints welded, Aluminum has a way of expaning and contracting that loosens fasteners

Fatman

Papa - haven't ice fished since 1981, when I went through the ice on Ontario and havn't been since. I still look at the section as there are some nice lures made that can work in the summer.

Back