I am in big time Trouble

redman

Help I need ideas. The neighbor got this brilliant idea to get a flock of Chickens. 18 layers, three Roosters, 1 Brooder hen and a chick. The guy he bought them from told him that they would lay a few eggs a day. Well those few eggs in a week turned out to be 12 dozen. I went in halves on the birds and bought the feed. We build a coup out of scraps of lumber that I had plus a few pallets that I picked up at the wife's family tractor business. A couple of rolls of chicken wire and we were in the chicken business.

So here is the problem I need recipes and ideas for cooking and preserving eggs. Yes we did the omelet,quiche, even did the pickled beet eggs. Short of putting out a sign to sell yard eggs or giving them away do any of you have ideas on what to do?

Who ever would have thought that the Redman would become a chicken farmer. By the way I got first dibs on all the Necks. One of the roosters has Blue Dun the other two are white. I want to get a couple of Plymouth Rock Roosters have to keep the hens satisfied.:D

Redman

HairyMooseKnuckles

If you are into healthy eating, I have a good recipe for chocolate cake. It's not my original idea, I found it on pinterest.

1 banana
1 egg
2 Tb Cocoa powder
2 Tb Apple sauce
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Tb Honey

Mash the banana and whip it real good, add rest of ingredients and mix throughly. Place in microwave dish and cook for 4.5 minutes.

redman said:
Help I need ideas. The neighbor got this brilliant idea to get a flock of Chickens. 18 layers, three Roosters, 1 Brooder hen and a chick. The guy he bought them from told him that they would lay a few eggs a day. Well those few eggs in a week turned out to be 12 dozen. I went in halves on the birds and bought the feed. We build a coup out of scraps of lumber that I had plus a few pallets that I picked up at the wife's family tractor business. A couple of rolls of chicken wire and we were in the chicken business.

So here is the problem I need recipes and ideas for cooking and preserving eggs. Yes we did the omelet,quiche, even did the pickled beet eggs. Short of putting out a sign to sell yard eggs or giving them away do any of you have ideas on what to do?

Who ever would have thought that the Redman would become a chicken farmer. By the way I got first dibs on all the Necks. One of the roosters has Blue Dun the other two are white. I want to get a couple of Plymouth Rock Roosters have to keep the hens satisfied.:D

Redman

dbeam

Pickle some, put boiled, shelled, eggs in a jar till it is full then pour Apple Cider Vinegar over them. Add a few sliced up Jalapenos, or Cayennes and your good to go in about a week. Being pickled they require no refrigeration and go great as a snack, with the vinegar flavor they also make great sandwiches. Mash a couple of eggs up with some Mayo, add a few Real Bacon Bits put it on the bread of your choice ummm!

We had 4 hens and had plenty of eggs for 6 or 8 people So you may want to sell some. Shouldn't be a problem to get rid of them cause they sure are better then grocery store eggs

Darrell

hookup

dbeam said:
Pickle some, put boiled, shelled, eggs in a jar till it is full then pour Apple Cider Vinegar over them. Add a few sliced up Jalapenos, or Cayennes and your good to go in about a week.

Great tasting, yes, but after eating 1/2 dozen, you need to live outside because of the toxic cloud that'll follow you.

I luv eggs but there's only so many I can eat. Suggest finding others in the area that can enjoy your bumper crop. With the price of eggs now, you'd be a hero

GrampsJigs

The wife says there are certain ways you can freeze eggs and preserve them for later, but I agree with the previous comments. with the price of eggs at the store, sell all you can. I would bet that you will soon find buyers. Good Luck!

Kdog

My dogs love soft boiled eggs and each one gets 3-4 per week. Small dogs only get 1/2 of a large egg. my 65# lab gets 4 large eggs a week. BTW they eat them shell and all.

Fatman

All choices listed, make sure they have that bird flu shot

The rocks neck feathers when stripped make a great quill wrapped body for dry flies.

Jig Man

Having a back ground in math is always a good idea before venturing into business...:D

Chicken and dumplings is one of my favorites.. :icon14:

AllenOK

Hollandaise sauce! Eggs Benedict! If you eat a lot of steak, make some Bearnaise sauce to go over the steak. Egg salad sandwiches!

Did you all know there's an egg shortage going on? I'm in the restaurant biz, trust me. If you have a surplus, put out a sign! Going rate here in Okieland is #2/dz, bring your own container.

hookup

I saw eggs for $4 a dozen in CA.

Not much of a Hollandaise sauce guy, but chx'n & dumplings - aw man.

redman

Well I did find a way to powder eggs. We did a cost analysis we figured that young birds three eggs a week some where at four dozen a week. We got them the day after the rain and the weather cooled. High quality layer feed, living at the lake, they got a deluxe accommodations. They started laying three hours after they were in the coop. It is to the point that the girls are laying three eggs a day. I already have two dozen eggs in the icebox. Looks like I will be making the yard eggs for sale sign.

I am surprised that eggs are $2.00 a dozen. $4.00 in California, think I will see if we can sell them there. We did this as part of the back to the earth path that we are following. I know that we will be able to sell and trade (barter) them off. Still we never thought that we were going to get as many eggs as what we are getting. Looks like we must be doing things right. At $2.00 a dozen it will take three weeks to get back our investment in the whole shooting match.

Redman

Uncle Grump

I've had chickens for the last two years - no trouble moving the eggs - I got a neighbor who will take 4 doz at a time. What you want to try to do is get regulars - 1 of mine takes 2 doz a week, and another takes 1.5 doz a week.

UG

redman

Quint had a chicken snake in the coop last night and got some eggs. No weasels I know of down here just a few mink and Nutria rats. Things I would rather not have to contend with. Dogs take care of the raccoons and possums. I will take care of the coyotes with lead poisoning.

Redman

AllenOK

Get yourself a few minnow traps. Place them inside your chicken coop, baited with an egg. Check them every morning. If you catch one, it's up to you as how to dispose of the serpent. Most folks will remove a non-venomous one somewhere away from their property. Venomous snakes usually get drowned.

Kdog

Angel food cake from scratch really takes a lot of egg whites. and the yolks are great for making egg noodles and various custards. Growing up, we had lots of chickens Mom cooked and there were never enough eggs. She made a lot of "from scratch" items that most folks buy premade or imitation. The egg noodles are probably my favorite but the custards and cream pies and angel food cake all bring back fond memories.

redman

Kdog great idea beef and egg noodles.

AllenOK great idea. Would never have thought of that. You guys are great.

Two thumbs up

Redman

PanfishHunter

to preserve eggs, you can rub the shell with mineral oil and refrigerate. It's said to keep eggs fresh up to a year.

the oil closes up the "pores" on the egg shell that allow air to get to the egg, thus keeping it good for longer.

BBFisher

Hey Redman I work in a commercial kitchen and we get our eggs scrambled frozen all the time. We let them thaw and cook them right in the same bag in boiling water. I'm sure you could find something on the Internet for this process.

Back