How'd you have your Blackeyes?

Radtexan

I do blackeyes year round,and fresh shelled from the field is by far my favorite,but the last few New Years we've done Texas Caviar...Cold pea salad thats great with Barbeque or any number of dishes... Give it a shot if you've never tried it...

IMG_0313.png

2 15-oz. cans black-eyed peas,
drained and rinsed
1⁄4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded,
and finely chopped
1⁄2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded,
and finely chopped
1⁄4 red onion, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper,
to taste

1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl; season with salt and pepper.

2. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Hawnjigs

KISS
I'ma trying it as soon as our red peppers fruit again. Just gave em some fert today.

Texas caviar? I don't get it...

Radtexan

Hawnjigs said:
Texas caviar? I don't get it...
I didnt name it Hawn,its what they call it around here,been around since the 40's far as I can tell...mumm mummm good..

Had em tonight with some Corned Beef and cabbage,Sweet baked taters,homemade rolls and the son in law brought over as mini keg of
spaten-keg.jpg

toadfrog

Ate mine straight out of the can with a plastic spoon . Tossed the spoon and can in the trash . Done deal.

redman

We pressure cooked ours with a big piece of Dried Salt Pork and a Ham hock. With the recipe that my wife came up with most likely from her Great Grandmother. I like mine over mashed potatoes and we always have fried cabbage to go along with it. We always invite a bunch of people over to help us eat it. This year was no exception and we fixed a dish that my wife calls the Tin Plate special . Beef Roast with pinto beans and a homemade Tomato sauce that is out of this world. Weren't enough left for the dogs but they got feed from a few plates. They beg so good.

Redman

Radtexan

redman said:
We pressure cooked ours with a big piece of Dried Salt Pork and a Ham hock. With the recipe that my wife came up with most likely from her Great Grandmother. I like mine over mashed potatoes and we always have fried cabbage to go along with it. We always invite a bunch of people over to help us eat it. This year was no exception and we fixed a dish that my wife calls the Tin Plate special . Beef Roast with pinto beans and a homemade Tomato sauce that is out of this world. Weren't enough left for the dogs but they got feed from a few plates. They beg so good.

Redman

That does sound like a feast !!!

Fatman said:
without the jalapeno bell pepper red onion, it'd be good for me, never liked that stuff

It would be just peas out of the can without those !!!:sauced:

Back