How to Help??

crappiecripplerjigs

I'm wanting to make a mold for a jighead. I tried the cheapest way I know using plaster of paris. Came out fairly well. Spent lots of time adding handles, carving sprue holes, etc... Then I dropped it! Any other ideas to make a mold without breaking the bank??

Jubs

Google RTV molds. I was thinking about trying to make some if I ever get around to it another option is makelure.com they have kits and info.

rodgerole

Jubs wrote:
Google RTV molds.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lead melts at 621.5°F and the RTV is only good to 350°F according to what I read.....??

rodgerole

toadfrog

Look up Alumite. Its expensive. Try using red-high temp silicone put a few drops of water in it and stir vigorously. Makes it set really fast.

LedHed

Sponsor
Dow Corning makes some high temp RTV but the stuff that tf is talking about is better suited. Think I read on TU that you can use bondo or a bondo mix ... - it is fuzzy memory.

Welcome rodgerole,from So Cal, to Jigcraft.

If you like learning about jigs & making them you will enjoy it here.

upnort16

If the shape is similar to an existing one, locate a used mold and some dremel tool time is fairly easy, modify the mold. Simple molds can be made from pliers and small blocks welded to them, but of course dremel tooling steel is more time consuming. Most silicones will not hold up to repeated casting, some epoxies, alumalite, etc do, but are pricey. I quess it depends on your design, and equipment access. Aluminum bar stock from any mailorder supplier is inexpensive, easy to machine, will last forever and one length of material will keep the creative juices flowing for a very long time. No need for hinges, just a couple of alignment pins, clamps to hold the halves together. Important thing is, don't give up on the idea, where there is a will, there is a way!

yea I started using ( Hydraulic Cement ) made two small molds for making 1 jig at a time but I am working on 1 now to do 6 jigs at a time . the problem is you olnly have 2 to 3 mins befor it starts seting up lol . & like upnort16 said dremel tool is one of the key things you will need. as soon as I can get this one made I 'll try to post pics. lol but don't hold me to that my dad & I rais flemish rabbits for sales and right now I have 8 does ready to have little ones . So I don't have a lot of time lol.

Fatman

Normally don't do this but with all the questions lately that have been raised on making molds this is really cool. This is a thread from the TU board http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/24431-silicone-jig-molds/

This guy lists some really good photo's of molds he's made and the material he's using, it's really tempting to get some of this stuff.

If this is a bad post just delete it and folks can ask me for the link.

DrCrappie

You might try THIS method, post #8 of using bondo to make a mold...although it describes how to make pyramid sinker molds, you could use Bondo for the mold material and make a two part mold and it would work great. It would also be easy to carve it and modify it with a Dremel tool too!
Check it out

Back