How NOT to break off a braid snag

Hawnjigs

KISS
Out my way, I always wear a long sleeve shirt for sun protection since I'm a fair weather daytime angler. But today, thought I'd try a super high tide late afternoon session and figuring I'd get drenched by wave crash(I was) decided to wear a short sleeve T since sun was low enuf not to be a burn issue. So, as usual snagged bottom rather quickly and noticed that my bare forearm no longer had sleeve protection to wrap line around for a break off. Solid lava rock shore with no wood in sight so only wrap possibility was my rod handle. Some of you may figure what happened next. What? No, actually I'd rather consider this momentary lack of attention than stupidity. That would apply if I did this again, which I won't. C'mon, I'm not the only one that blundered this, right?

Jig Man

Naw, I usually just nearly cut my hand off instead of wrapping the line around my pocket knife..

Fatman

Wasn't one of the tips way back when braid came out to carry a small chunk of hard dowell wood???LOL I never pulled that one but if came down to it I would have sat down and used my shoe instead, OH!!! let me guess you were wearing sandles???LOL

So how bad did you damage the rod???

hookup

If you point the tip of the rock at the snag, hold the spool of the reel with one hand, and yak hard, you'll break the line @ the knot or straighten the hook.

Bucko

Fatman said:
hookup don't think that works real well with braid.

works for me up to 50 lb test. over 50 is possible but harder to do. my bass rigs with 80 lb is reall hard to do yhat way. I break a limb off a tree and use that. or point rod to it and turn trolling motor on high the opposite direction.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Even with 20# I have nasty visions of a ripped off bail or bent mainshaft if I tried that. Y'all must have some sturdy reels.

Fatman, think of butter and a hot knife. Without the rod blank core, think half the cork handle would have dropped off.

We wear tabis in HI, which are neoprene booties with felt bottoms. Never thought to use that.

Fatman

Not good buddy!!!!!!!!! first time I ever tried Kevlar thread I sliced myself pretty good - if I use it now I use those little rubber finger nubs that are used for counting paper easier.

redman

Sorry to hear of you rod accident. Yes that braid is great when there are no snags. I have had too many big fat slab crappie decide to take it in the cypress tree roots. Thats why I use the plain old spiderwire easier to break off when it gets down there in the roots. Them cypress trees have grabbing roots that will eat up jigs and the only way to get them out is to break them off. Just glad that I don't have those lava rock to contend with.

As far as the foot wear we wear about the same thing. The rubber boots keep the water out and the snakes from biting my legs. We have white shrimper boots down here but I like the old black kind what in the mid-west we called chore boots.

Redman

Pup

hookup said:
If you point the tip of the rock at the snag, hold the spool of the reel with one hand, and yak hard, you'll break the line @ the knot or straighten the hook.

Absolutely agree, except I apply a slow, steady pull with my 10/2 or 6/2 superlines. More often than not, I get my jig back. Braided and fused lines rock.

Back