How about a fly swap?

quivira kid

Looks like this has been discussed, but it's been awhile! Who's interested in a warmwater fly swap? Bass/gills/crappie/whatever... I'll host if folks will participate and be on time.

*EDIT* 4/8/11 - Flies due to me before May 15th. They WILL be mailed May 16th, pending the apocalypse (or somebody being late)!

1. quivira kid - TBD
2. AtticaFish - TBD
3. JUNGLEJIM1 - TBD
4. LedHed - TBD
5. moswampy - TBD
6. hhawkins - TBD

quivira kid

Well alright! I will let signups go another week, to see if we can get a half dozen of us.
Patterns for warmwater fish is what we're after here! Bluegills, crappie, bass... whatever you want. Flies need to be in my mailbox by May 15th (that's a Sunday). Monday, May 16th they'll go back to you.

Do we wanna go with just toe tags and mail them in a small container (small Plano box or Altoids tin) or individual baggies and tags like a jig swap? Let me know what you guys think!
Also, post up and let me know what you'll be tying.

Zac

quivira kid

First post has been edited. Everyone who's expressed interest has been put on "the list"! Give me some feedback on how y'all want to do this... We don't have any "hard and fast rules" for fly swaps here yet.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to tie a Mini Bunny Matuka... at least thats what i call it anyway. :D Larger sizes work excellent on river bass but i am going to cut down some bunny strips and try putting it on a #10........ or #8. lol

quivira kid said:
Give me some feedback on how y'all want to do this... We don't have any "hard and fast rules" for fly swaps here yet.

Rules? What are those??? :rolleyes: I am up for anything. my personal pref would be bag & tag them... an altoid can or other small container should work. Anyway way it works out, i have a feeling we need to keep any fly or side jig swaps small - no more than 8 or so tiers - we just don't have the member numbers to do all kinds of different stuff at one time... don't want to spread things out too thin, if that makes sense. I love to see variety tho - i am all for it!!!!!

CrappieHappy

yall be sure to post pics. i MAY attempt a fly one day...

Russ... curious what the member count is up too, I keep trying to get my buddies interested in tying, but they say why, when you can make em for us... lol.. I'll keep trying to bring on new members.....

quivira kid

Russ, have you ever tried pine squirrel zonkers? I love 'em for smaller patterns. A crawdad orange #8 Slumpbuster gets a ton of takes around here.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
crappiehappy said:
Russ... curious what the member count is up too, I keep trying to get my buddies interested in tying, but they say why, when you can make em for us... lol.. I'll keep trying to bring on new members.....

Thanks for spreading the word! The count is up around 200 members, you can see the current number at the bottom left of the main forum index. Of those 200, there are around 60-80 that log in once a week and about 50 that are on daily.

I guess i was comparing the 'low numbers' to a site like FAOL where there are thousands of members and ALWAYS several swaps going on at once.

quivira kid

Russ, FAOL has been online for a *few* years, too. Lot of old trout snobs on that dang place. I enjoy the "out of the box" thinking of this smaller site, where everyone contributes and where you can post without someone looking down their nose at you!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I have been posting/paying more attention over there lately and i can see 2 distinct 'classes' of anglers that seem to stick with their own kind. :rolleyes: Strictly Cold Water vs. Everyone Else. Cold water fly-rodders are BIG with the traditional mindset and warm water FR's seem a little more open to odd-ball ideas. I know i am generalizing and there are alot more asspects to it, but that seems to stick out like a sore thumb to me. There is alot of info & ideas to pick through there, that is for sure!!!

Welcome into the swap Heather! I am looking forward to seeing what variety comes out of this swap. :)

JUNGLEJIM1

Glad to see we have a fly swap going. Most of my flies have catered to trout fishing. I'll probably head over to Feathercraft to see what kind of ideas I can get there. Really don't want to do a crappie bugger but my mind is a blank right now.Focus now is on six bass tournaments a friend talked me into.Never fished a tournament in my life so it should be interesting. I might do something like a streamer. Got to do something different for sure.

Back