Hook Size

hunter7711

I am getting ready to have a minnow head mold made. What size hook would you want in a 1/8oz head if you had a choice. I am a big beliver in the Sickle hooks and also like to oversize the hook. Right now I'm pouring a 1/16oz with a #2 Sickle and a 1/32oz with a #4 Sickle. I'm thinking of possibly of going with a size #1. Do you think I'm going too big?

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
If its for crappie I would say #2 would be the largest. Personally I would go with a #4. Just have the mold cut to accept several sizes.

hunter7711

Thanks! Remember there are 4 lake a little north of us that you can't keep a Crappie unless it's OVER 12 inches. I think I'll go with a #2. Realistically I think a #1 might be a little too big.

Ron Don said:
If its for crappie I would say #2 would be the largest. Personally I would go with a #4. Just have the mold cut to accept several sizes.

flatsrat76

hunter7711 said:
I am getting ready to have a minnow head mold made. What size hook would you want in a 1/8oz head if you had a choice. I am a big beliver in the Sickle hooks and also like to oversize the hook. Right now I'm pouring a 1/16oz with a #2 Sickle and a 1/32oz with a #4 Sickle. I'm thinking of possibly of going with a size #1. Do you think I'm going too big?

How about a heavy 2/0 to 4/0 :p

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I like using bigger sizes in that size head... #1 or #2 prefered. The bigger size gives you a better chance if you hook into a larger fish (bass, walleye, etc.) and also gives you more room to play when tying jigs. :D If it can be cut to take more than 1 size hook, that sounds like the way to go!

Be sure and post how your mold and jigs turn out... love messing with the minnow style heads.

Back