hook for egg patterns?

jschmidt

I find myself wondering, what would be a good hook selection for egg patterns?
The more I use powder paint, and all the color combo's you could come up with some sweet egg jigs.

Radtexan

Its been a while for me,but I think there is an egg or scud hook..10-14 was what I used when i did...

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
The scud/curved hooks mentioned above are good but...

...are you looking for different hook styles to put lead heads on and make what looks like a single egg? I have crimped and shaped lead split shot onto scud & caddis curved hooks, but not all that happy with it. The point curves back fast towards the eye and leaves little hook gap between the point and the lead for hooking fish. For something like that, maybe someone knows of a short shank/wide gap jig hook? I know i have seen some live bait jig heads (the ones with the extra eye on the bottom to attach a treble stinger hook - maybe called Fireballs? Gumballs???) that have some short & wide hooks but no clue how small they would go. Finding someone that can fit it - or mod it - into a jig mold might be the tougher part.

Ball heads with regular jig hooks will work to make good egg sucking leech patterns. ;)

Back