Hook Failures? What Kind?

Hawnjigs

KISS
My most memorable was losing what felt like a state record moi due to an Eagle Claw #4 baitholder hook snap. And, I've had lost multiple others on different sizes & styles of Sickle jig hooks due to bendouts.

CrappieHappy

I have lost plenty to my line breaking, fish 4 - 6 lb line. the only hooks i have broke is on my one braid setup when pulling a snag.....

hookup

I use black nickle hooks exclusively, and when they get a bend in them they loose strenght. I've had them break on the hook set before at the stressed area

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried the little 1/80 & 1/100 'trout heads' sold by Netcraft for ice fishing a few years ago....... they have garbage hooks IMO. Do not get them. I wouldn't trust those hooks to land anything but skinny 6" stockers. They are about as strong as a paper clip and i broke so many (at the bend) just unhooking bluegill that i gave up on them.

I have had a red sickle break on me at the 2nd bend once and was using only 6lb line, so no clue what happened there.

Only other failures i can think of were back when i used the Arkie jigs purchased at Junk-Wart. Arkie's sell 1/8's with 2 different hook styles although the price is no different. One is stronger than the other. I've had carp straighten them in the river.

My Dad uses EC gold aberdeen hooks for perch fishing and they get bent up pretty quickly after prying out a few swallowed hooks. He uses heavy braid (guessing 20lb) on his rods and have seen a few of his snap on hook sets. When i perch fish on Erie, i use shorter shank (and heavier) Mustad 3366 sproat hooks.

AllenOK

I haven't done enough jig fishing to experience hook failures.

The only hook failures I have experienced are 3/0 circles, probably Eagle Claw L197, snagged on rocks and straightened out a bit. I did have a stainless steel Kahle straighten out once. That was a memorable experience. I had a Blue Cat on the line, that was somewhere between 50 and 80 lbs. I knew what it was, as I had the fish pinned on the surface, but no way to get the fish up the 30' to the platform where I was fishing. The hook held the fish for about 2 seconds, then straightened out. I thought I had broke my line, until the sinker nearly hit me in the back of my head after the recoil.

One of my favorite topwater lures is a Rebel T10 Jumping Minnow. The stock treble hooks are good for LMBs in still water, but hook up with a 10 (or bigger) Striper in river current, and those hooks will begin to straighten. I since have upgraded the hooks on the lures in my boxes. I have another dozen or so of those lures still in original packaging in my closet (they only get produced every 5 years or so), and they will get upgraded hooks as I need them.

Back