Holographic Glitter

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Got a question about what holographic glitter i use for powder paint so went down last night and took a few pics. I have about every color of glitter imaginable, but really only use a couple varieties now and they are all holographic to some extent. I have a green glitter and orange glitter that give off a multi-color reflection.... but did not take a pic of those last night. I will try to get a pic soon. Anyway...

When i first started powder painting, i used a jar of the pre-mixed silver holographic glitter in clear powder from Jann's, pretty sure it is the same as the Pro-Tec mix. After getting just the clear powder in bulk, started looking for good holographic glitter to add and make my own mix. I have 3 different types now. My favorite is still the kind from wal-mart sold in a multi-color pack. It has silver, gold, red, green & blue but i only use the gold and silver from the pack... they are cheap. The silver is nice and bright and has a good spectrum of colors it reflects.

View attachment 8

View attachment 9

Of course i have tried others as well. Got a jar of glitter meant for plastic pouring from Jann's also. It was listed as holographic size small. Well, it is a lot larger than the 'el cheapo craft stuff. It is also a clear material so the only color you get from it is the holographic flash. This is my least favorite for powder painting. Sometimes it leaves lumps from the size of the glitter and just doesn't look as good to me.

Got this glitter from the craft store listed as the color Snow Fall. It is very tiny tiny glitter and really only reflects a silver and gold color.

View attachment 1

View attachment 2

This picture shows the Jann's small holographic on the left and the craft store Snow Fall on the right. They both are 'OK' but i really do prefer the cheap wal-mart stuff over them.

View attachment 3

After reading all that, the glitter i use most often is a mix of clear powder and 4 different sizes of glitter. Like i said, i started off with the pre-mixed silver holographic glitter/clear powder from Jann's and split a jar in half, then filled it the rest of the way with plain old clear powder. To that i added a bunch of the wal-mart glitter, a little of the Snow Fall glitter and then just a pinch of pearl mica powder. I know, that is a lot of fuss over a simple glitter, but it gets tapped on top a lot of the stuff i do. Here is my custom mix on plain black heads...........

attachment.php

Attachments

• glitter_01.jpg
    glitter_01.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 137
  • glitter_02.jpg
    glitter_02.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 136
  • glitter_03.jpg
    glitter_03.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 136
  • glitter_04.jpg
    glitter_04.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 137
  • glitter_05.jpg
    glitter_05.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 135
  • glitter_06.jpg
    glitter_06.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 137

hookup

Last year I played around w/ store bought glitter with the same results - mostly chunky powder paint.

Now use a PP glitter, but only one color & not as fancy as yours. Still gives the jig a glitter look if you tap on the glitter after PP.

I like the 'rainbow' colors of your experiment.

Pup

Nice thread with great information and well illustrated with photos.

I am trying to incorporate glitter more often. My method consists of dipping into a glitter and clear powder mixture. I hope I'm getting better at it, though at times I have to 'double or triple dip' to provide coverage to my liking. Extra dips often result in a thick layer of clear which generally increases the diameter of the jig head's collar and the finished thread wrap. Frequently, there is a glitter 'void' on the nose of the jig head too.

Check out Tuesday Morning for glitter if you have one near you. Purchase a 24-pack of Wow! Extra Fine Glitter for 1/2 to nearly a third of the cost of it as sold online. Pretty good deal in my opinion and it does the job at less than 400 degrees F.

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
That Janns does look cruddy. I bet it wouldnt work well in plastic either. It reminds me of disco glitter which is a little transparent and doesnt take heat well. I know stores rarely list the actual size of glitter but .004 is a good size for paint.

That black sparkle is bangin! Reminds me of powder by the pounds black sunburst.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Pup - I don't have near as good of luck trying to dip into clear/glitter mixes. Best way i have found is to tap it on to a head that is hot. The clear powder will start to gloss (or at least turn clear instead of white) when it hits the hot head and let you see how much glitter actually sticks. Can usually tap the glitter with 6 or 8 taps and have enough or add it to where there are gaps. You can also then dip it into a jar of just clear powder (do not re-heat it first) after tapping the glitter mix and it will take on just a nice thin layer of clear from the residual heat. You can then hold it over the heat for just another second to make sure it stays put, but no need to gloss it over all the way..... it will gloss and smooth during cure.

Len

AtticaFish said:
Pup - I don't have near as good of luck trying to dip into clear/glitter mixes. Best way i have found is to tap it on to a head that is hot. The clear powder will start to gloss (or at least turn clear instead of white) when it hits the hot head and let you see how much glitter actually sticks. Can usually tap the glitter with 6 or 8 taps and have enough or add it to where there are gaps. You can also then dip it into a jar of just clear powder (do not re-heat it first) after tapping the glitter mix and it will take on just a nice thin layer of clear from the residual heat. You can then hold it over the heat for just another second to make sure it stays put, but no need to gloss it over all the way..... it will gloss and smooth during cure.
Do you cure the first coat of powder paint before tapping on the glitter mix then cure again?

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Len - I only cure once. Goes something like.......... heat the head - dip in color - re-heat the head watching it till it just starts to gloss - tap on the clear/glitter mix - quick dip in plain clear powder - re-heat it again just till it starts to smooth - hang it to cure.

I actually timed it when i was running the big pile of heads and it was under 20 seconds to do the paint. Took 3 times that just to get the eyes and shanks completely clean of paint. It goes fairly quick since the head holds some of the heat, it doesn't take much to re-heat it to smooth it some before you tap on the glitter. Getting the timing for a solid coat of the color on only 1 dip takes some experimenting. Sometimes 2 dips where it only goes on thin is better than 1 that goes on thick.

mjs

That glitter mix looks great.

Last year I started making all glitter heads, like the Northland dico jigs, by swishing hot painted heads in just wal-mart glitter. For example a red powder paint then swished into red glitter so if I missed a little spot it wouldn`t show. I wasn`t sure if it would stand up to the oven so I epoxied them, but they way your jigs turned out I don`t have to worry about the cheap glitter burning....

hookup

I just heated, powder painted, heated, glittered, then baked & the jigs turned out fine. Only problem was I need to be more generous with the glitter.

When I powderpaint, I tap it on with a fine tea screen tool I made, so more tappage next time w/ the glitter

plateboater

Tea screen tool......are you holding back on us with ideas??? help out the slower people

Back