Hidden Weight Jig Fly

toadfrog

View attachment 7I have a larva jig mold . Got to thinking what in the world could I do with this to make it more versatile . So without carving around on my mold like a novice . I decided to just use a straight hook instead of a crimped hook and slide the weight down . Tied the fly above the weight . End result was ????

Attachments

• hidden weight jig fly.jpg
    hidden weight jig fly.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 118

JUNGLEJIM1

Interesting bait , that mold has possibilities. How about attaching a clevis to the front to add a blade. Can you add a propeller and bead to the front before you pour the lead ?? You got my scrambled brain going now.

toadfrog

Without tampering with the mold you couldn't put a bead and propeller on it before you pour . Maybe a folded clevis and blade . Best method would be to use a spinner maker and put a tag on the fly with blades beads ect. I avoid doing free hand machineing on molds other than maybe for recessed eyes or going to a larger hook .

Fatman

Great tie but with all those background colors what the heck did you put over the top of the weight?? dubbing or chenille or is that a feather???

SaltyBuckster

I'de love to see what Brent would have plastic welded to your boat,lol.I could just imagine.I know one thing,Hang on to your hat.

toadfrog

Fatman ,that is buck tail . The wings are hen feather . The head is just normal thread wrap .
Lost pole I can do some pretty awful stuff to a boat . Painted one orange with black stripes once . Called it the U.S.S. TIGGER complete with a little flag . Bet we could figure out how to do a sponge bob theme or give it some unusual appendages .

jschmidt

very cool toad! I have been brainstorming this same type of set up. Something that spreads the weight over more of the hook, and tie up some floating foam hopper patterns.

toadfrog

I got to study some photo techniques . I really suck at pictures amongst other things . Hope to do some variations with spinners on them . The mold does 1/16 to 1/4 sizes . Saw one sell for 20 bucks on ebay awhile back . That didn't break the bank for somebody .

toadfrog

Its just a do-it crappie jig mold . If you use a plain hook you can spin the head to resemble a pill head or slide it back to tie in front of the head .

Back