Here's a doozie of a first post

dmm26

I'm kind of at a loss as to where to post all my questions, as they are pretty general.
So, here goes.

I would think that the point of tying a jig is that you are not using other bait, worms, minnows, etc, correct?

Can you fish solely with tyed jigs?

As I'm new to fishing in general, I think I may get out to more places for more species in the winter as I don't own a boat. is there a difference in summer and winter jigs?

I'll mainly be fishing for perch, rock bass, goldeye, crappie, walleye, and trout.
So, what jigs work for what species? (I have looked at this and found a ton, just want opinions)

Is it better to go with more natural colours than really flamboyant?

I tired tying a couple 1/64 jigs by hand with no vice and it wasn't impossible, but for consistency I think a vice is necessary. How much should a realistically look at spending?

That's all I can think of for now, although I do have material questions I'll hold off for right now.

Kdog

dmm26 said:
I'm kind of at a loss as to where to post all my questions, as they are pretty general.
So, here goes.

I would think that the point of tying a jig is that you are not using other bait, worms, minnows, etc, correct?

Can you fish solely with tyed jigs?

As I'm new to fishing in general, I think I may get out to more places for more species in the winter as I don't own a boat. is there a difference in summer and winter jigs?

I'll mainly be fishing for perch, rock bass, goldeye, crappie, walleye, and trout.
So, what jigs work for what species? (I have looked at this and found a ton, just want opinions)

Is it better to go with more natural colours than really flamboyant?

I tired tying a couple 1/64 jigs by hand with no vice and it wasn't impossible, but for consistency I think a vice is necessary. How much should a realistically look at spending?

That's all I can think of for now, although I do have material questions I'll hold off for right now.

WOW, you said a mouthful.
Q1, Yes, tied jigs are often used without any bait or plastics added, Some however tip with live bait, plastics, nibblers etc.
Q2, Yes you can fish with tied jigs and be successful.
Q3, Summer vs winter is wide open. Cold water jigs are fished slower and ice jigs are usually smaller, summer time everything is used but usually not the really tiny ice jigs
Q4, Color is more a function of water color and clarity and is somewhat species dependent
Q5, tying a 1/64 without a vise is a real challenge.. Congratulations!
Price of vise good question, I wish I had a 100 dollar vise but am quite happy with my 30 dollar regal knock off.

ACAMS

dmm26 said:

You will be hooked and spend thousands!
So go ahead and get the best rotary vice made!

Most have the peak rotary vise

hookup

26 .. be easier for me to answer your questions if I knew what part of the country you're from.

I fish mid-Atlantic region rivers for smallies, so I'll answer your questions with that in mind ...

A jig could be as simple as lead & a hook, a couple strands of hair, or as pretty as some of the master pieces shows on the board. For simple jigs, I usually tip them with plastic of some sort - grub, stixbait, creature baits. For others, I have a trailer of either rabbit or deer and fish them alone. I never fish live bait in my area, but if I was in other parts of the country chasing other species, I wanna feel the tug, so I will.

For me, a winter jig is sparce and a summer jig has more bulk because smallies want a meal in the summer and will chase a snack in the winter.

As far as what works for what fish, you need to get your line wet & find out. There's no magic bait for a fish -- but I've learned a long time ago from a very seasoned smallie angler that an ounce of biology is worth a ton of tackle. Learn your fish - how they react to weather, high water, low water, turbidity, photoperiod and you'll be on your way to posting trophys.

I started tying with a set of vice grips in a vice. Then got fancy & went to a hook holder for a hook sharpener. I finally bought an el cheapo vice for $25ish and when the jaws wore out got me a more expensive one. Point is, you don't need an expensive rotary vice to tie; just some hooks, thread & hair. But they are nice.

Don't worry about inconsistencies - think of nature, it's about as inconsistent as can be. Worry about presentation & location.

Jig Man

Back