Help!

hhawkins

O.K., I'm ready to start tying my first jig. I'm wanting to use buck tail hair in bright blue, bright green and white with a june bug colored head. How do I start? Do I wrap string first on the jig itself or do I start tying on the hair first? How do you start your string? Do you tye it in a knot or overlap the end of the string when wrapping? See told ya I needed help....:huh:

JUNGLEJIM1

You want to overlap the tip of your thread,usually 6-10 wraps to hold it in place. For bucktails that are tied in at the head place tip of thread against head with hook pointed down.Overlap the tip of thread with tight wraps,wrapping back toward the bend just a little ways and return to head.If you are going to use chenille or some kind of body start wrapping thread about halfway down hook shank too the bend. Check out AF'S tutorial on tying a bucktail,lot's of great information there. When I first started tying I didn't have a book or computer and tied knots with the thread. It was a pain doing it that way. Then I bought a book on flytying and everything fell into place.

hunter7711

There are tons of great videos of You Tube from easy to hard. That would be where I would start. You might attend one of the classes Bass Pro holds every other week.

StumpHunter

Good to see you are about to start tying. Watch all the videos you can, they help a lot. I look forward to seeing pics of your jigs.

hhawkins

Thanks guys! I talked to one of our fly tying guys at work and he is mostly on flys and not jigs. He told me that starting with deer hair or buck tail hair is hard that I need to start with something easy, but he didn't say what. I really would like to start with buck tail hair, but for a beginner like me, what should I start with or does it matter what I start with?

JUNGLEJIM1

I started with a marabou tail and chenille body,simple tie but as you get better and get your tying technique down then you can try something more complex. Bucktail is tricky to work with.

hhawkins

Yeah, after I got done typing my last message about what material to use and hitting "post reply"I looked back through the other messages sent and seen where Ledhed wrote me about the maribou. Sorry Ledhed, wasn't paying attention. Sometimes I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, very sad!.....LOL! I'll go back and check out the link that ledhed had sent. Thanks guys!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Girly hands & fingers might be better suited for tying. Mine don't work so well after a lifetime of man thing abuse.

And, a female perspective can be creatively unique.

Back