Help with enamel paint

bigd

Trying some enamel to paint jigheads and some spinner blades.  any tips you can give me for a smooth finish?   the top seems smooth but it looks uneven underneath.  I did one with primer and one without. the one without  the primer actually looks way more even then the primed one.    

any help is truly appreciated. 

Thanks

duffy

How about a little more info? Are you dipping, spraying or brushing them? By primer, do you mean that you are using a regular primer or a base coat of the same type of paint? Do you have something to rotate the items to keep the paint from sagging while it dries? That could be some of the problem if the paint is applied kinda thick.

bigd

using a metal primer applied with a paintbrush then paint over top of it again with a paintbrush.

Jay Wirth

I am probably one of the last who still brush paint all my jigs, primarily with epoxy but do have a couple colors I use enamel over an epoxy base of white. A picture will help with the guess but what you are describing sounds like an easy fix. Try experimenting with different brushes, I use a flat brush but found a cheaper squirrel tail brush that has a bit longer hair than the same sized quality brush works best. What I found is that the shorter bristles wipe away the paint as I go over the area a second or third time in the natural way of painting the heads. The trouble isn't really noticeable until the paint dries showing the unevenness. When dry this gave the effect of lighter and darker spots on the heads. Ill check on the brushes I have used for decades and get some picts up.

Fatman

Last time I used enamel paints was years ago with the old testor's model paints, I usually just did 2 coats then a coat of epoxy whether or not I was tying, plastics without an epoxy coat will turn the paint to mush.

hookup

I used enamel testors pain for one of the jig swaps with no problems. Put on a couple thin coats and it looks great

bigd

thanks everyone. I bought cheap brushes as this is an experiment and am using the small cans of rustoleum enamel. the second attempt looks better. Thank you.

Jay the new vice is AWESOME. Thank you so much.

Back