helgrammite trailers

jiggerjohn

Does anyone here pour their own helgrammite bodies for use as jig trailers? I talked with a topnotch NC crappie guide that swears by them for huge crappies, behind a jig!

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Rick sent me a sample of his helg mold. I pull it out and look at it every couple weeks! Ive resisted the temptations so far so don't stir me up again!

jiggerjohn

I've been experimenting with the soft plastic helgie (commercial) and liked the way it looks in conjunction with my wool/satin jigs -nice rolling motion,realistic look, and nice,flat size to fit the small hooks that I use. Plus I recently talked to the guy who was the subject of this interesting story - http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=383   and was quite intriqued with his tales of BIG crappie, smallmouth & largemouth bass ;he could never figure out why the plastic helgie didn't take off nationally due to its high catch rate around the Southeast. I guess I could get a mold to pour mine, but am really looking to see if anyone is already set up & doing this, to buy a few or trade!

Bucho

I made several hundred custom USD Shad Dart heads last winter for a float&fly steelheader in WI who uses them with crabbie bass lure`s 2" Hellgies which he customizes with 3 pairs of extra rubber legs. He is very, very fond of that combo. He and his buddy frequently catch 10-20 fish on one session in the presence of 10-20 marabou jig-fishing other guys catching 1-2 fish combined, its quite drastic.

We don´t have these freaking big dobson flies over here but I will definetly come up with some sort of damsel nymph float&fly lure soon.

JUNGLEJIM1

Anyone ever see an adult Dobson fly? They are bada$$!! Picture a 3-4 inch long flying insect with pincers. I see them at the shower house when I go camping, attracted to the lights at night.

hookup

JJ - seen mnay a Dobson fly and even felt their "bite" one night around a RS rodeo campfire grabbing one with my beer goggles on. Mistake. Cool bugs.

Back in the late 90's, locals swore by Case's black helgies. I still have a boat load of them, but never manage to catch anything big on them. Moved up to Case's larger hellgamite and fishing was slower, but size improved.

fyi - If you're thinking about trying Case, when Charlie sold the company, the plastic receipe changed.

JUNGLEJIM1

I used to seine them from local rivers and they were a better bait then minnows or crayfish. Caught everything with them and they could really pinch hard. Lot of work seining them but worth the trouble back then. I think Ronny is on to something with his plastics.

Back