Hartwell Lake- kayak bass tournament

StumpHunter

The lake is still high maybe 4' of more above full pool. I still can't get over the difference from the last time I was on the lake 2 months ago when it was 16' low. It made the fishing tough but some good bass were caught, not by me!!:dodgy:LOL
Out of 27 kayak fisherman only one guy caught a 5 fish limit and won the tournament with 70''. They go by the length not weight. I only caught one bass and is was a short fish of 11'', needed to be 12'' and above. The big fish of the day was caught by one of the kids that were fishing in the kids tournament. He caught a 21'' largemouth on a crank bait. Funny thing was that his reel back lashed and a kid beside him pulled in the fish using his hands and landed the bass in his kayak. Yes they was fighting over who really caught the fish :rolleyes:
The kids had a lot of donations for prizes and my jigs went over very good with the kids.

Was a great day being able to meet some folks I talk with on a few forums. Here is a few picks of the lake and a couple of the kids.

Attachments

• Hartwell kayak bass tournament 001.JPG
    Hartwell kayak bass tournament 001.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Hartwell kayak bass tournament 003.JPG
    Hartwell kayak bass tournament 003.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 39
  • Hartwell kayak bass tournament 005.JPG
    Hartwell kayak bass tournament 005.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Hartwell kayak bass tournament 006.JPG
    Hartwell kayak bass tournament 006.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 40
  • 0720131558.jpg
    0720131558.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 0720131558a(1).jpg
    0720131558a(1).jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 40

StumpHunter

Forgot to add, most fish were caught up shallow using a trick worm on a jighead. I didn't try that but did catch the one on a trick worm fished Texas rigged. I used every bait I had around the docks and never got a bite and from all I talked with no one caught any from docks. Most were caught around flooded timber.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Wow, with tuff fishing like that the winner must have had some practiced smarts.
Will you continue to pursue high water skills?

StumpHunter

Hawnjigs said:
Wow, with tuff fishing like that the winner must have had some practiced smarts.
Will you continue to pursue high water skills?

No I don't plan to, hope the next time I fish with them next month on Lake Secession the water will at full pool only. This is a smaller lake of 1,450 acre where Hartwell has 56,000 acre's. I caught my first 3 pound crappie on Secession this spring so I look forward to try the bass there. I grew up fishing Secession along with a few other lakes that are close by and there are only two boat ramps so I know the lake around both of them. May have a chance to catch a few bass and I'll have more time to study what baits to use. It's bad that I tie jigs and didn't know what a shakey head was :beat-up: Shameful!!But I know now. I just never tied bass jigs as all my tying are jigs for crappie and gills and flies for gills and trout. Going to be a new world tying bigger jigs.

Back