Hand Auger

oldfox

I don't have a hand auger, but have used a few over the years. The best I have used is a Nils...they cut through ice like butter! Size is going to depend on what your fishing for...8" is a good all around size...

papaperch

If you don't mind spending over a 100 get a nils master 8 inch or six inch.

Next step down almost as good Strikemaster Lazer. Here I think a 7 inch is perfect size. Normally the bigger diameter of drill the more work getting through the ice. A Nils Master is unreal though. It goes through ice " ALMOST " effortless. A lot of seasoned ice vets have given up their power augers in favor of the Nils even in 8 inch.

An 8 inch Lazer will wear the average guy out if he does quite a bit of drilling. A six inch is probably most popular size but since I like to stick camera and vex in hole its a little cramped for me. Thats why I compromised on the 7 inch.

I always pack a little 4 inch to do exploring if going to new lake. Would never use for fishing thru unless I know I am only going to catch perch. I absolutely hate trying to squeeze a fish through a hole.

oldfox

Your right Papa about a 8" Strikermaster Lazer hand auger wearing you out..been there, done that. Being old and weak now ;) ,I have upgraded to a Strikemaster Electra 7", and love it. Have had it going on 5 years now, and it is still going strong on its original battery!

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Good info.... i need to get a new one myself but probably not till next season.

Think i 'mis-used' mine when i first got it new. I had the idea that the harder i pushed down the faster it would go through the ice, think i ruined the blades. Last year we had over 10" of ice on a few lakes and man did it kick my butt! Drilling with an 8" auger too. :beat-up:

--------------------

Will piggy back on your thread, hope you don't mind Len. Another Hand auger question:

Am i wasting time to even try and sharpen my old blades? I will get a new set of blades before i get a whole new auger but the replacement blades are not all that cheap. If i can get by with just sharpened blades - and not ruin them totaly in the process - i would be happy.

Uncle Grump

I've got a 8" lazer (hand auger) and 7" Strikemaster (gas).

The trick is to watch where you dig your holes (any trace of gravel/sand) will ruin blades, and to never try to re-open a old hole. I still use the lazer when the ice is sub 1' thick, but once it hits a foot, the gas auger is king - arthritus hurts.

A layer of vasiline on the blades in the spring before storage helps prevent rust. When in doubt - replace the blades (lazer especially). Living in "ice" country - re-sharpened blades are readily available - bait shops, etc.

Strikemaster has a resharpening service - turn around was fairly quick. See here: http://strikemaster.com/store/blade_exchange.html

UG

papaperch

Russ - get a 7 or 6 inch you will notice a heck of a difference. Sell that 8 inch quick as you can

Worst thing I see ice rookies do is slam the auger into the ice when starting a hole. This is totally unnecessary and dulls your blade almost instantly.

Another mistake made is to let the Nils Master's price scare them off. Once you use one it sells itself. There are very few things in the fishing world that live up to the sales hype. The Nils auger does with aplomb and no I don't work for them. A quick google search will reveal accolades from the ice fishing world. Lots of arguments about the other equipment and whose is best. But the Nils choice for auger is almost 100 % .

Back