GST concrete sealer as a jig sealer

Kdog

I am starting this thread because the GST wet look concrete sealer has many positive reviews on other sites and it has been touched upon in various discussions.

The product specs can be seen here http://www.gstinternational.com/pages/high-gloss-wet-look-lacquer

I bit the bullet so to speak and bought a gallon this AM at my local Menards ~30 bucks but my 40+ empty bottles of Sally Hansons and 3 dead devcon D2T were way more than the gallon.

First thing I tried was simply seal a thread wrapped hook. Product is very thin and the thread absorbed it beautifully. Sped the drying process a bit with a heat gun until no longer tacky. Broke thread trying to unwrap. Great performance, thread wrap does not slip.

Second test was to glue eyes in place. dipped a bodkin in the sealant and put a drip on head and placed eye. gives 2-3 minutes of posistioning time and holds well enough initially that you can turn the head and place second eye. Messed around and did a couple jigs for testing and worked well.

Dipped entire head in the product used my air brush compressor and a blow off needle to clear the hook eye.

hung to dry then decided to help the process and put in my PC oven at 170 degrees for 20 minutes. Results as follows

Eyes attached but not sealed. with difficulty could pop the eye off using a razor blade. Was hard to do but could be done. (To date the only product I've used that could not be popped was the Devcon D2T).

Eyes attached and sealed. It was difficult but I was able to remove the eyes but damaged the jig trying.

Overall, initial impression is very positive. I made a half dozen jigs got them sealed up and drying ATM and hope to give them a shot tomorrow or saturday.

I put about 50 cc's in a mixing cup, did not cover. did not notice any odor. 3 hours later, the product has not skinned in the cup and no noticeable thickening.

Wll update as I develop more information. Anyone have experience using this product? Please add your comments and impressions.

10-19-14 update
Drowned a handful of jigs where eyes were attached and sealed using GST clear exclusively, Nice gloss, very durable. Fished rocks below a dam so figure it is a good testing ground. used 20# braid just make sure I could abuse the jigs. I did manage to remove an eye along with ~ 1/3 of the jig head. really had that one wedged other eye was still attached. So I am happy with the performance.

Tried some baits that were painted with testors model paint, too hot and bubbled the paint, Lacquer over enamel, I should have known better. Works fine over airbrushed acrylics though.

Also used as a thread cement. Penetrates well and quickly and when dry, keeps thread locked.

Tried to Glitter coat a couple blade baits, holds up well byt leaves a rough finish even after 5 dips,

More tests to come, but thus far am really pleased with the performance.

hookup

Great reviews. Only question is can you buy quantities smaller than a gallon?

Kdog

hookup said:
Great reviews. Only question is can you buy quantities smaller than a gallon?

1 gallon then 5 gallon then 250 gallon
but it has great shelf life. I have a jelly jar 1/2 full that is still good after 2 years on the shelf. A buddy had some leftover and I wanted to try it on crank baits. emptied 3 6 gallon pails and almost filled my jar. Although it works on cranks very well, I do not get the depth of finish that I like and some say you can dip multiple times to build up but I can brush on a nice coat of epoxy ad leave on turner overnight and get a great coating and great appearance.

Kdog

Current Jig Swap I am using GST as thread sealer, eye glue and head sealant

Back