Grilling Crappie

ScottV

I've been looking for an alternative way to cook crappie other than frying and I think I've found a good one. I filet the crappie as I normally would. Place your filets in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss them until they are coated well. I'll place a peice of non-stick foil on a cookie sheet, place the filets on it and sprinkle with lemon pepper. Once my charcoal grill is ready to cook, I'll throw on a handful of soaked hickory chips, then place the foil and filets on the grill over a hot bed of coals. Close the lid and smoke for 6 minutes. Yum Yum. These are ready for the grill.
37f514fc.jpg
afdc8bb4.jpg
End result, good hickory taste and not as fattening.
6841afca.jpg

Ron Don

Future Sponsor
Nice Scott! Where's the cayenne???

Another thing you might try. Lay out a good size sheet of foil. Put down a bed of damp spinach leaves then put your seasoned fillets on top. You can add other veggies... Onions, shrooms, garlic cloves, lemon slices, etc. Then fold the ends of the foil up so they come together above the fish. Leave an opening for the steam to escape. It's quick and easy and not a lot of mess!

ScottV

That sounds good to Ronny. Speaking of cayenne, the first ones I smoked I put some creole seasoning and Old Bay on them. I didn't know the Old Bay was mostly pepper. Wow, they were hot. Lol

hunter7711

I've tried it a couple of times and used the Zatarans Blackening. Did the Lemon tonight and they were good. Liked the blackened ones better.

StumpHunter

Those look very good Scott. My gas grill want let me put the wood chip in but may be able to gill em. I been baking my fillets for a couple of years now, not as good as deep fried but it does grow on you.

Back