Grenada Lake MS Slab

ScottV

I just got back from Grenada Lake for a week of watching the wind blow. SteveJ and I had 4 days that were not too bad. We both caught our largest crappie of our lives. Steve's was 2 lb 8 oz and mine was 2 lb 12 oz. I also had one 2 lb 1 oz on our first day. They held the Crappie Masters State Championship tourney there last Fri. and Sat. and the largest weighed in was 3.55 lbs. They weighed in 21 big fish that went over 3 lbs.
1bc7f2d7.jpg

ScottV

The solid chartreuse except with a 1/4 oz head with a crappie nibble. Steve caught his this morning on the orange jig. Everyone up there's minnow fishermen. They just don't understand. LOL
e98a097e.jpg

ScottV

Thanks Rad, it was even better that while everyone else was minnow fishing, we caught 3 over 2 lbs on my jigs. My hat doesn't fit anymore. LOL

Pup

I've never caught a crappie that large. With its broad sides and girth, I'd think that it resisted being brought in quickly.

Great catch Scott. :cool:

ScottV

I'm about 3 hrs southeast of Grenada and the crappie seem like a different species up there. My home lake is also a Corps Of Engineers reservoir, just a lot smaller. (Okatibbee Reservoir) Crappie at Grenada have shoulders on them.

Hawnjigs

KISS
Grenada appears to be the best lake in the country for slabs.

Obviously, your jigs work - what presentation method was working that day?

ScottV

It seemed that 90 percent of the fishermen up there were using large minnows either behind tube jigs or just with hooks. They were mostly using double rigs on their poles, also. I wanted to give my jigs a chance so I had a jig on the bottom, then a minnow on a hook tied with a loop knot around 1 ft up the line. Above that I had a 1/2 oz egg sinker due to the wind and waves. We were spider rigging with 6 poles up front. Grenada has a 3 pole per person limit. Sometimes my partner used only minnows and we tried tipping my jigs with minnows. Most of all our keepers, (above 12 in), came from jigs and crappie nibbles. We were in the miniority being from MS. Lots of folks travel to MS Corps lakes this time of year.

ScottV

There's always a few bad apples but the majority of the folks welcome everyone. There's a lot of money coming into the area from the out of state fisherman who come to the "big three", Grenada, Enid, and Sardis. There are lots more out of state tags at the landings than MS tags.

Back