Green lead

hhawkins

I'll have to send a pic after awhile, working is calling "yuk!" A friend of mine gave 2 1/2 gallon size coffee cans full of lead and some of the lead is green colored, almost looks like somebody spilled paint on the lead. My friend told me that his dad use to make bullet heads and used gun grease. What do I need to do to clean the lead up?

Fatman

As slipbobber said do it OUTSIDE!!! and no KIDS or PETS in the area!!!once you put it in the pot and start heating it, I'd personnally put some kind of cover over it, there could be some moisture in the grease and you sure wouldn't want it to do a major splatter!!!!!!!! It hurts like hell when it happens!!!!!!

Read this thread on what happened to JungleJim
http://www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft/showthread.php?tid=1083

Once it's melted stir it real good, I'd keep somthing between me and the pot when you take the cover off just to be safe. Skim off any crap on top and then flux the heck out of it.

You could ask your buddy what type of bullets his Dad was casting, it could give you a clue as to whether it's pure or not. If muzzle loading it's probably pretty pure, if pistol or rifle it's probably harder and you could mix some pure to get it to pour smaller size jigs.

Just be safe and you should have a good batch of casting lead.

Fatman

Hawnjigs

KISS
Heather, jig tying is artistic and fun, pouring lead is a more serious game involving many frustrating variables and even danger. Safety should be your first concern - protective eyewear, long sleeves, good ventilation to carry fumes away from you, even a proper respirator are essential to minimize health issues.

Like Fatman, JungleJim and others have posted, moisture & hot lead can cause very, very, very dangerous reactions. Your "green lead" (grease, paint, mold?) should be as dry as you can get it before heating. Most coatings will burn off and floating residue on the melt can be skimmed off.

Theres a lot to learn, myself and others have posted tips for beginners in this section. Here's the best tutorial I know of describing fluxing to clean lead.
http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/13369-best-lead-melt-flux/

hhawkins

O.K Hawn...Fluxing (new word, I like it) I read the article, very deep dicussion. I have learned to use either beeswax or parrifin wax. That both waxes will catch fire (yikes!) and smoke. Do i stir while the pot is on fire or wait til the flames have gone? That part a little corn-fusing to me. What kind of spoon should I use to get rid of the yuk on top - metal or wooden spoon? I had already planned on using protective gear before I start this. I remember reading Jungle Jims article a couple of months back, of what happened to him on melting one day, ya I don't want that happening. All geared up for that mess. How far away from the house should I do this? I do have 4 dogs (an old man beagle - 16, and 3 min pins) and I diffinitly do not want them around me while I'm doing this. They'll stay in the house. I will defflinitly need all the help I can get. Thank for looking out after me!

Hawnjigs

KISS
Heather, I recommend gloved hand stirring with a Lee lead ladle which should be available at your store because yes, you stir the flaming melt. The bowl is about the size of a quarter and is perfect for skimming out floating dross(waste crud) from the melt. I haven't tried, but Mr. Toadfrog's method of stirring with a hardwood dowel might be an alternative flame free(?) method of cleaning impurities from the melt, so maybe a wooden spoon might work.

Dunno how your place is set up for a pouring station - mine is in a carport open on 3 sides and I use a 21" square box fan to suck and blow away melt fumes & smoke. An aluminum foil pie plate on the fan grate on the suck side provides some heat shielding for the motor.

Hawnjigs

KISS
You might already know - this is important - best not to fill your Hot Pot more than half full. There are a # of reasons:
1. EZr to pour when not full
2. To avoid spillage when stirring
3. EZr to maintain a good hot pouring temp

For myself, there are a lot of mistakes to learn from metals casting, & I made pretty much every one. It may sound odd, but even after over a dozen years I still learn something most every time I pour. Unfortunately at my age, most of these tidbits are forgotten.

Uncle Grump

Heather

In post #4, Hawn states "protective eyewear" - I'd like to suggest you get a full face shield - not just something like safety glasses/goggles. You should be able to get a face shield at any home center, or well stocked hardware store. Cost is sub $20.

UG

hhawkins

Uncle Grump said:
Heather

In post #4, Hawn states "protective eyewear" - I'd like to suggest you get a full face shield - not just something like safety glasses/goggles. You should be able to get a face shield at any home center, or well stocked hardware store. Cost is sub $20.

UG

Uncle Grump, Thank you! I didn't even think of a a full face sheild. I'll go check out some of the local hardware stores. Thank You!

hhawkins

Hawnjigs said:
Yeah, but then you don't get to show off the burn scars on your face...

I've got plenty of scars, but I don't think I need any on my face (don't want to help myself get uglier :D) HA,HA,HA! Thanks Hawn!

Back