Grass Carp

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to try putting my UL reel (4lb test) on my 5WT fly rod to see if i could cast some light weight jigs any better. Tied on a small black/chart threadneck with a 2X strong Mustad Ultrapoint hook - the hook showed its worth! Took about four casts with it and was hopping it down the bank into deeper water and the line went tight. Drag screamed!

Is the first time i have caught one of the two stocked grass carp out of my pond. I have tried several times tho. :D The pond is pretty small and think if i hooked it in a lake it would guess it could have spooled me in no time.

Total fight took right around an hour before it agreed to swim into the net. Wife netted it for me and the kids were pretty impressed also.

View attachment 8

View attachment 9

View attachment 1

Attachments

• 100_5494_e.jpg
    100_5494_e.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_5500_e.jpg
    100_5500_e.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_5493_e.jpg
    100_5493_e.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_5498_e.jpg
    100_5498_e.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 53

JSC

That thing had to be hungry
Kids look like they are happier than you are about it.

Takes a lot of grass for them.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
Guess of weight, hmmm.....? Went out and measured the net tonight, it has a O.D. of 21". I'd say the carp went past that by ~2" at the head and ~8" at the tail so that would put it somewhere just over 30". I'd say 10lb. weight would be a conservative guess. Kids were pretty impressed by it, would be the biggest fish they have ever actually seen out of the water. Silver coloration and huge scales of these hybrid grass carp are beautiful. :cool:

Ron Don said:
...What u think it weighed?...

Fatman

I'd like to put a couple of non-reproducing pairs in my local pond, they'd be hugh with all the grass they'd have available to eat!!!!!!!!!

Back