Got started with the caddis

StumpHunter

Been trying to get a few flies ready for next week. Working on some caddis flies. It's hard to get use to the smaller hooks but I am learning where to keep my fingers... Also going to tye some in black, dun and olive.

hook- DF1 sz 14 x1 fine
thread- tobacco
body- ginger dubbin and ginger saddle
wing- bleached elk hair

fliestied036.jpg

quivira kid

Gotta love it! Try tying some 18's and 20's!
Then the first time you put a 1/16-oz jig in the vise, it'll feel like you're tying with rope and TONS of material! Haha

Fatman

Zac

You ain't just kidding when you go back to jigs from the small flies!!!! Stump you might want to go a bit smaller on the palmered hackle, you don't want it to block the hooking ability.

Fatman

StumpHunter

Thanks for the tip Fatman, I will watch the hackle size. I been looking at the size 20 hook and I'm not sure if I can even tie one onto the line!! Had to tie some 1/16 jigs today and it took a while to get the feel of those huge hooks LOL. I have enjoyed tying the flies. Getting a good pic of the small flies takes some time too. It took me 17 try to get that pic to come out...
Hope to get back on the flies again in the morning. Thanks for the commits guys.

quivira kid

Tell ya what, I've gotten into fishing size 10 and 12 nymphs a LOT for gills. After awhile, they look like a 1/16 oz jig does to you now and those little bitty fly hooks begin to seem more doable! (Or maybe that's just my 20-something year old eyes)

Back