Got my toys today!

StumpHunter

Yeah I'm hooked too!!!! and all :D:D:D:D Now I can put away the ladle, O-BOY....
It's all Heath's fault :D LOL

Attachments

• mis pics of 2012 104.jpg
    mis pics of 2012 104.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 56

hunter7711

I'm gettin used to mine. I seem to lose some lead when starting it up. Maybe leaving too much in the pot when shuting down. Sooooooooooooo much better than the ladle. Too think I waited 45 years to upgrade, and probably never would have if my old one didn't crap out.

Fatman

Oh no we've got a new monster who's gonna start pouring LOL good luck with pouring!!!!!! I see you got the horsehead mold is it the assorted one???

Hunter = I know some do it but I just can't leave the lead in my pot to harden up when I'm done casting.

Trust me Stump it won't last for long!!!! Oh one more thing, don't freak when you first fire up that new pot - it will smell a little bit but it's nothing to worry about. Post up some pics of them when you get going!!

AND BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!

FuzzyGrub

I was beginning to forget what a virgin pot looked like! Have fun, and those do-it molds tend to multiply when you are not looking. :D I started with two and they have been breeding ever since.

toadfrog

Every time you come home from work put your pocket change in a jar . you would be surprised how many molds you can buy that way over the years . Now the next addiction ! Plastics soft squiggly multicolored little things you can play with . Mix match formulate your own colors and styles .OOOH!

StumpHunter

Fatman, the pony head mold is the assorted one with no barb.

Got a small workbench built and got the fans installed. Made the first pours and wow what a big difference working with the bottom pour!
On the heat setting, what do y'all set it at once the lead melts. My lead turned red it was so hot. Turned the heat down to 6 and my next pour the tube was clogged. Run a wire up into it and was better. I never had much slag problems with using just the melting pot but there was a lot of slag using this unit. Maybe it was the high heat causing this, will be interested in what y'all think.
Here are a few pics of the pour. All these are 1/16 with #4 sickle. Was planning on pouring some 1/32 but the hooks I ordered that were marked #6 were also size #4 so I have to order some more #6 before pouring the 1/32.

Attachments

• mis pics of 2012 105.jpg
    mis pics of 2012 105.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 27
  • mis pics of 2012 108.jpg
    mis pics of 2012 108.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 27
  • mis pics of 2012 110.jpg
    mis pics of 2012 110.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 27

Fatman

Yeah you're hook now LOL I set my pot at 6 1/2 for the whole time I'm pouring. If you add more lead it will melt fairly quickly but you have to let it heat up to temp. Stir the pot every now and then it will bring stuff up.

Get a long piece of stainless steel wire, put a metal cup under the spout and run the wire down through the let and out the opening every once in a while and it'll knock stuff out and help the pour.

Flux it, looking at your photo the heavy duty air sucker is right there should be fine.

FuzzyGrub

StumpHunter said:
On the heat setting, what do y'all set it at once the lead melts. My lead turned red it was so hot. Turned the heat down to 6 and my next pour the tube was clogged. Run a wire up into it and was better. I never had much slag problems with using just the melting pot but there was a lot of slag using this unit. Maybe it was the high heat causing this, will be interested in what y'all think.

Mine is usually at the 7-8 range. From what I hear, the thermostat vary from unit to unit, so you might not get a good, consistant answer, that applies to yours. On the other hand, I have never had red hot lead or clogged spout.

For me, slag depends on the lead source. But maybe overheating would cause some excessive??? I usually try to keep it rather full, and skim off with a fork. After adding new lead, I alway add some flux. After doing a few hundred jigs, had about a pie pan worth of slag. This was with using some thin lead sheets that had been sitting around and oxidizing. I usually have less than that.

Lost Pole

Every time I read onpouring or molds I get excited in my stomach. Happy to see someone else at the wheel that I can read from.

Adam

Back