Going to take the leap !! Powder paint here comes the BOOM !!!

stabgnid

Looking for a fluid bed Going to make the leap I do not want to build one looking for the whole set up 1 bed and maybe a couple of extra cups

LMK Steve-stabgnid

hookup

You don't need a fluid bed to take the leap. Just a good heat source and powder paint

JUNGLEJIM1

What hookup said X2. Been painting jigs over 20 years and never owned a fluid bed. Just keep the paint stirred up and you'll be fine.

AtticaFish

Administrator
Staff member
X3 on Hookups suggestion. I made my own fluid bed, but went right back to dipping in the paint jar. Keep your jar of paint stirred up and fluffy, watch your heat and you will be just fine.

Kdog

More often than not, I do single color jigs in lots of 50 or 100. Thus the fluid bed really comes in handy. I also find myself priming jig heads flat white or flat black depending on what color I plan on using. Even for tap painting I like a base coat.

Spent a lot of time in a friends body shop and he does a lot of custom motorcycle tanks, Almost everthing these days is base coat/clearcoat finish and the transluscent color coats really pop over the base coats.

hookup

Dog - once you put down a base coat, do you reheat the jigs again for the top coat?

Kdog

hookup said:
Dog - once you put down a base coat, do you reheat the jigs again for the top coat?

It depends. but as a rule, yes. Most transluscent or candy colors will blend into and mix with the base coat if you do not precure the base. Having said that, sometimes the colors are quite unique. I do a Like Chrome head that requires a white base coat, cure, reheat and chrome, cure, then reheat and black glitter mixed in clear then a third cure. The chrome is the worst I have encountered as far a blending it also must have a clear coat/seal coat.

hookup

thx - need to play around with base coat not cured and cured.

I started adding coats of harder than nails to heads, and found out that some paints change colors.

Kdog

hookup said:
thx - need to play around with base coat not cured and cured.

I started adding coats of harder than nails to heads, and found out that some paints change colors.

When I was still using sallys I noticed the same effect. Since switching over to GST no issues

Fatman

Stab - I think after reading about it on Tackle Underground it's Gst International Lacquer Based Concrete Sealer. The 2 colors I've found that Sallys react to is white and chartreuse - yellows them to where they don't look good. If I coat any I use 2 part Epoxy mix, I've always used it and it's what I prefer

hookup

Fatman said:
The 2 colors I've found that Sallys react to is white and chartreuse - yellows them to where they don't look good.

For me, the charteuse turns a nice orange that works real well with a zonker/crosscut perch pattern.

chill49

jut curious if anyone has tried black base and then dip it in chrome powder
I tried it once and it gave it a mirror looking finish just wonder if it was a fluke haven't tried it again so not sure if it works all the time

Back